Ecu, Keys And Fobs

scottd2424

Question

Hello there,

Have recently purchased a Grand LX 2.5CRD 2003 but it only has a single key and no fobs.  This put me off but the car drives great (so far) so have run with it.  I know that a good auto locksmith can cut a chipped spare key and also know that you can add fobs if you already have one.  My question is this:

Ebay are selling 2nd had ECU with keys and fobs.  Even if there was only 1 fob at least i could learn new ones to the system but how easy is it to change over or does the system need to be matched or re-programmed?  Mechanically I don't doubt that i could change it all over but are there some hidden problems I may be oblivious too?

Regards

Scott, Worcester

8 answers to this question

Hi Scott,

I'd probably ask your local (proper) auto locksmith to programme a second hand fob to your car.

I had one done, he needed a code form Chrysler, no problem. Unlike a shop who said it was a main dealer supply and job. No it wasn't.

As you say there is supposed to be a way to learn a remote if you already have one, my car wouldn't play ball.

I followed the instructions that we have a link to on here - somewhere some time ago.

Hi, what I did to start a car where the driver lost the keys, I replaced the ecu and the key immobiliser along with the ignition barrel

What I did was removing the battery, removing the ecu, left the car with plus and minus probes connected between them for about 20 mins, replaced all the parts, connected the battery, ignition on for about 5 mins (the engine managed light was on), turned the ignition off for about 10 mins, and after it started.

You don't have to replace the alarm as it is a separate circuit.

Hope it helps. The only problem would be that for a future owner if he/she wants to buy new key from the delay, the code won't be useful. If you want to do it, try to find one that comes with the small metal plate that has the manufacturer's code on it.

Hope it helps.

I forgot to mention, I don't know if for all the models will do the same thing but replacing the ECU cancelled the radio code... on a radio with satnav, still trying to find the code avoiding calling the dealer.

Why would it be stored in the ecu instead of the radio itself?!

Not clear on this issue if running systems like Injectors, injection pump and any sensors need married to the ECU. It's just that if you change an injector on some cars you need to record the injectors info into the ECU or the engine will not start. But there are cases where the ECU learns on its own.

On my GV I replaced initially one and after a while ( I couldn't get it started) I replaced all 4 without coding the injectors. If they come from the same model are fine. Moreover I replaced the whole engine with all the sensors and it didn't matter. Even if you swap injectors between them doesn't matter, I've done it as I forgot the order when removed them.

If the sensor or injector is in the same parameters as the old one was, it is recognised by the ECU. If I take one from a Mercedes sprinter ( which they use same engine as my GV) then I should probably have to code the new injector.

So far on this model I replaced every electronic part as I was struggling to get it started. The only thing that happen was the management light on for few minutes until the self test was done. Eventually was the ASD relay and the battery which was only one year old...

After it started, to play around with it, I replaced only the ECU without the immobiliser. It didn't start and the red light on the dash was on.