Squeaking And Banging When Moving

roadhog

Question

Hi!

New problem with my 2010 Grand Voyager! I get a really loud knocking and squeaking noise from under the dash, right in the front left corner where it meets the windscreen.

It only happens when the car starts to move, even if its only slowly.

Ive checked the glovebox for things that may be banging around etc but still no luck.

Any ideas?

Rh

7 answers to this question

Hi,

Im almost certain it will be the suspension top mount.

If you pop the bonnet, and look in the top right hand corner where the plastic grill is (right at the bottom of the windscreen). Look through the grill and you will see the suspension turret top mount.

They're pretty straight forward to replace. You can remove the plastic trim to get to the top strut mounting bolts. Then you need to remove the 2 mounting bolts that hold the strut to the hub carrier, disconnect the drop link and then remove the whole strut from the car.

Safely compress the spring using spring compressors and remove the top mount.

Obviously safety is critical here, as compressing suspension springs can be VERY dangerous, so if you haven't done it before, its best to take it to a garage. I replaced the top mount on mine a while ago and it was around £55 for the parts.

Hope that helps,

Alan

Hello A1,

Ive just been out and tried it and yes I can hear the noise when I turn the wheel from left to right, but less so than when moving.

The noise is right at the top of the dash where it meets the bottom of the windscreen

Rh

Edited by roadhog

Hello A1

Ive just been out and got the other half to turn the wheels whilst I looked at the top mount that you described. It does indeed sound like its coming from there!

I don't fancy having a go myself, how much do you think it will cost for a garage to do it for me?

Rh

Hello !

Just an update, the car has been to Chrysler today and it is indeed the top mount. They said they noticed the shock absorber was weeping slightly as well, and that they could change it whilst changing the top mount, so I thought is best to just get it over and done with!

Thanks for the advice!

Rh

I hope that your problem is confined to the top mounting and not the actual springs. I ordered a set of front springs on 5th July and despite repeated calls to my local dealer I am told that they will not be delivered until 23 August at the earliest, and that is not here but in Italy.

To say that I am totally P****d off is putting it mildly. I have already stsrted looking for a replacement vehicle andf guess what, I am not even looking at another Chrysler.