Front Drivers Side Spring

fleraflav

Question

OK

You have stated spring - so I assume that it is one of the round type, not the linear variety.

For cost purposes I had to replace one, that had speed bumped out and snapped. It cost me £140 a side - you have to really change both as they may well be suffering from iron 'stress' worm. Do you really want the other to ping, trash your tyre .... the rest at 70 mph does not bear thinking about......

If you cannot beat them join them......

1.  A google search of the user manual could result in a dealership in northern France / Belgium...

You could have a short weekend over there - taking your other half? 

If you can time it right there are many cheap bucket deals c/o DeeFsDeeSS ships (35 return last year)

2.  Or shoot a bit higher - aim the spring at a UK 'Mike Brewer' type of spring manufacturer.

You list as Wales .... 

http://www.jones-springs.co.uk, based in Brum, 

https://www.springmasters.comin Reddidtch - there are more

If you prefer to press alt delete, you could ask one of our Italian friends, with the epa part number (try speaking to Fiat Italy via the UK help line) and do a deal?

Mikeys response could be a start in the mean time, the only advisory is, as an ex-Physics teacher, the gross tare weight will be slightly different, and therefore the (young modulus) strength of the spring (maybe) could be slightly different. Heavier car = larger number.

Would not want to trust a recycled part, especially as recycled parts, are by their nature in this position - critical components.

Penguin

If you do find a spring manufacturer that you use, and can recommend, please post on here in the 'Garages' spot?

Edited by Penguin2007

I have ordered a fiat bravo coil spring and it should be all done tonight. I will let you know if it is the same and if it works out. I have also contacted chrysler today due to the corrosion of the under neath of the car and of the engine bay. My mechanic was shocked to say the least when he seen it. The bolts had corroded and snapped. They have told me to bring it to a dealership to access it for the corrosion warranty.

Yeah fingers crossed its a match and i will keep you updated. By the looks of it its going to be a real hassle getting new parts from now on. Luckily my brother lives in Germany and can visit lancia easily if need be but at a price. I'm about 16 miles away from Swansea. The nearest dealer is in Cardiff about 60 miles away or Haverfordwest which is 50miles away. Cardiff one is where I bought the car, they have been useless in the past with issues. Quite the trek though to get it accessed.

Nah parts supply should be fine as most of the important oily bits are Fiat Bravo, so nothing to worry about there.

Also Italian eBay is a great source too! I had the unfortunate pleasure of having a Merc Sprinter reverse straight into my rear offside door creasing it so badly I had to replace it. I found one on Italian eBay for £80 plus £40 courier charge to the UK, and four days later it was here being sprayed and fitted!

With regards to main dealers, you're far better off steering clear, as most of the Fiat / Alfa /Jeep dealers are less than useless in my experience! Have a look for a good local independent. The Fiat or Alfaowner forum's are a great source of knowledge when it comes to repairs or servicing, so should be able to recommend something local...

This place seems to get good reviews off the AO forum:

http://www.lcmotors.co.uk/find-and-contact-us/

Hi All,

Just in case its of use to people. THe original coil springs are hard to find, but are still available from the main Chrysler Dealer as it has to come from Italy. The cost is 124.63 + VAT per side!!!! Generally 1 hours labour to change each side too. As mentioned best to replace them as a pair.

The part number is 50709043.

The other option is as L Plates recommended and the Eibach pro springs but this requires a change across all 4 and lowers the car so depends if thats what you want. you just have the additional 1 hour labour for both rear springs.

My mechanic recommended against lowering if possible, but he says a lot of coil failures happening so one to look out for as the original part is expensive!!!

Please see my comments in:

Pot Hole Society - Newest Member

They can manufacture a spring for you.

I had bravo springs fitted and they appear to be ok

Have been told to hit speed humos with one side full on, and then alternative side next time. Not to straddle as this causes the springs to break and also the inside shoulder of the tyre to wear disproportionately.

Penguin

My petrol multi air passenger side coil broke.

Originals can be ordered and will cost 125 plus vat and labour.

Looking at changing all 4 with the eipach pro kit.

Do you think it makes a difference in fitting from diesel to petrol.

Last verdict on lowering the car, with road humps problem, not a problem?

Quoted £220 for labour to fit all 4, sounds reasonable?

My petrol multi air passenger side coil broke.

Originals can be ordered and will cost 125 plus vat and labour.

Looking at changing all 4 with the eipach pro kit.

Do you think it makes a difference in fitting from diesel to petrol.

Last verdict on lowering the car, with road humps problem, not a problem?

Quoted £220 for labour to fit all 4, sounds reasonable?

You've lost me slightly... Are you saying you want to fit an Eibach Pro kit designed for the diesel Delta instead of petrol rated springs?

I was referring to the eipach pro suspension kit.

On the shared link that fleraflav posted.

It mentions Lancia delta iii diesel and petrol.

But the site didn't specify my engine as compatible.

My question was does it makes a difference in fitting from diesel to petrol cars. I thought spring coil fitting and suspension will be the same.

I am quite keen to order this kit and have it fitted but don't want any bad surprises on fitting.

If the kit specifies it's for the 1.6 or 2.0ltr diesel the front springs will just be stiffer for the extra weight of the diesel engine over the lighter multi-air unit. So in other words they should fit perfectly just be stronger.

I'm on my phone so haven't looked at the link recently... Perhaps give them a call?