Flickering..

jonnoj

Question

Hi all, not sure if anyone can help, but I have a issue that's got me banking my head up the wall.

Unlike everyone else with flickering console lights, all of my lights flicker except the console.. I have checked all the connections, alternator measures fine etc but for some reason, my headlights, sidelights, foglights, courtesy lights and clock light all flash drop out and flicker. It seems to be when I'm at traffic lights, or use my windows, or just whilst I'm driving.. Anyone have any ideas?

It's a 2009 2.0crd. I have spent days searching forums and Google but coming up blank. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

2 answers to this question

Hi J

key word here is alternator - it produces AC (alternating current) which is rammed through a bridge rectifier that coverts it into DC for use in the car.

If you start getting diodes (four big ones) that start to breakdown - heat, stress, usage .. age... et al, they will not behave as diodes anymore. The start to act as 'resistors' and play their own games.

THE ELECTRICITY THEN STARTS TO FLOW IN THE WRONG DIRECTION, AND AS A RESULT + TO - ELECTRICITY COULD BE - TO + FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME.

as a result flicker......

Solved by replacement of diode block on alternator - but easier to replace whole starter / alternator / and peripherals. The diodes were accessible in my aged Ford Cortina Mk 3 but .... had to be cost effectively swopped out with a whole unit. S would be bale to get 6 or 12 mont W on the unit if you haggle.

You can generally swop out units to a refurb place and get a good deal. OEM may prove to be more expensive. Stick to the OEM rating - don't over do, as it may eventually over charge your battery and cost you even more pound notes.

(Good idea to check pulley wheels / stretcher pulley and fan belt condition if you replace yourself.

Penguin

Edited by Penguin2007

Thanks for the reply! certainly something for me to look into, I have a battery ordered as mine seems to be running down to about 11.6 overnight so before I fit it I think It will be worth having the alternator tested professionally, from my own testing iv not spotted reverse polarity but being as it would happen so fast I'm not sure my tester would spot it.

Typically from cold my alt puts out 13.5-14.2 then once warm 14.0-14.6 but fluctuates a bit, I thought the low cold voltage may be because of the low battery?

Do you know if this is normal considering the battery seems to be failing? Obviously living with saving money in mind I don't really want to spend too much at once.

Also any ideas what alternator fits the 2.0 crd? unfortunately dealerships I have spoke with seem to suggest my car doesn't exsist so finding detailed info on parts is a bit of a headscratching excersise

Thanks