Egr Valve

twe

Question

12 answers to this question

Same engine as the Bravo and I have done these and from memory you have to drain/refill the coolant as the EGR comes off with the heat exchanger complete. I seem to remember something about a metal and rubber gasket (that was quite expensive) when I stripped the assembly down so make sure you have everything if you are doing the job. 

It sits at side/back of engine as it is part of assembly and I also recall the battery has to be removed for easy removal and refitting, throttle body is above it. Don't suppose the car is still under warranty of any kind? Is the EGR at fault as there was issues with the EGR heet exchanger leaking?

Hi there,

thanks for the replies.

Yes it is under warranty still and have booked it in for the panels being replaced from the other thread. Will update with more info and photo asap. I have already mentioned a few things to the dealership who will have a look at them when I drop the car off.

I have a fault code P0488 EGR Control CKT which seems to be related to the throttle body/intake shutter that other people on the web seem to have had.

Question above was to see how easy it is to clean the gunk out of the EGR although don't fancy doing any of it since I am not really a DIY person.

I shall upload some photos when I can, probably needs a good wash already as it's in White and with the rain for the past few days it's not in the best condition.

Bit of a thread resurrection, I have Fault code P0488 and the car has gone in to limp home mode. I'm guessing that this is down to a blocked EGR valve. Has anyone else any experience of these on the 1.6 Multijet diesel. Is it worth cleaning it, or should I just bite the bullet and replace it?

2016 1.6 diesel, 63000 miles.

Bit of a thread resurrection, I have Fault code P0488 and the car has gone in to limp home mode. I'm guessing that this is down to a blocked EGR valve. Has anyone else any experience of these on the 1.6 Multijet diesel. Is it worth cleaning it, or should I just bite the bullet and replace it?

2016 1.6 diesel, 63000 miles.

I have a 2001, 110hp, 1910cc Marea sx saloon with 230000 miles and still the original 1st day EGR valve which has been dismantled and cleaned 3 times, I use brake cleaner to get the worst off it, then an hour and a half in the ultrasonic cleaner and it's clean as a whistle, I now clean it at each timing belt change at 70k miles! Hope this is of some help??

Edited by Andrewgrale

I have a 2001, 110hp, 1910cc Marea sx saloon with 230000 miles and still the original 1st day EGR valve which has been dismantled and cleaned 3 times, I use brake cleaner to get the worst off it, then an hour and a half in the ultrasonic cleaner and it's clean as a whistle, I now clean it at each timing belt change at 70k miles! Hope this is of some help??

Thanks. I've done the EGR on the 1.9, but in an Astra. This looks quite a bit different. The car was just under 7 years old when I bought it, but had only done 40k in the hands of a retiree, so I'm guessing it's probably pretty dirty. 

the EGR vale is part of an assembly on the side of the engine, that includes the thermostat, EGR vale and a heat exchanger.

The EGR valve is the black part on the end of the right side in the main picture and sits toward the bulkhead when mounted in the car

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-2016-ALFA-ROMEO-GIULIETTA-1-6-DIESEL-EGR-VALVE-55229740/143564968330?hash=item216d23918a%3Ag%3AFswAAOSw-AFefHhd&LH_ItemCondition=3000

The same part is used on a Vauxhall and is half the Alfa price if you need a new one.

HTH

Edited by ForzaLancia

I found this video. Its a Giulietta, but basically the same, so I'm going to have a look this morning. It's not as if I've anything else to go out for right now :) 

My symptoms were "check engine" warning on the MFD and engine management light. The car also went in to limp mode. This was with the engine still cold. Fault code is P0488. I'm guessing that the EGR is stuck open from the circumstances.

https://youtu.be/0v9zMtLvCQ4

A quick update, the You Tube video is spot on. The only thing on the Delta is that the battery is slightly in the way. other than that, access is a bit tight, but it's a straightforward, if fiddly job to remove, strip and clean the EGR valve. Mine was really coked up and needed a darn good clean.

I had mine done start to finish, including resetting the fault codes and a good test run, in under 3 hours. Having done it once, I could probably do it quicker next time.

Edited by TJB

A quick update, the You Tube video is spot on. The only thing on the Delta is that the battery is slightly in the way. other than that, access is a bit tight, but it's a straightforward, if fiddly job to remove, strip and clean the EGR valve. Mine was really coked up and needed a darn good clean.

I had mine done start to finish, including resetting the fault codes and a good test run, in under 3 hours. Having done it once, I could probably do it quicker next time.

Well done You Sir!!!

Great to see people doing practical work right :-D

Need photos of the Marea asap

Well done You Sir!!!

Great to see people doing practical work right :-D

Thanks.

With the current situation, the car has been sitting idle in the garage for a week, so today I had the chance to take it out for a really good run, living in rural Scotland our weekly shop involves a round trip of 50 miles or so. The difference in the performance is like night and day; the car is quieter, quicker and smoother. I guess it's probably been pretty coked up for ages and the previous owner probably hadn't noticed the deterioration. I had put a bottle of Forte fuel system conditioner in at each service and that seemed to make a difference, but nothing like giving the EGR a "proper" clean. I'll probably add it to my service routine for every other year in future.

If you have a diesel, you really need to do this. The difference is amazing

Edited by TJB