Lpg Conversion

cassandjohngreensmith

Question

Hi, we bought our Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 v6 auto 2003 with a view to LPG convert it. We had this done over a week ago by a UKLPG approved installer local to us. We got it back on Monday and was initially very pleased but soon realised that it would shudder or cut out completely when it turned over from petrol to LPG. Took it back to the installer who reassured me it was working fine after connecting it to the diagnostics and that it just needed to settle down although he did change it to not only be prevented from changing over until it got to the correct temperature but also not until it hit 1500rpm so it would be going along when it changed over. However later that day it cut out when changing over to LPG as well as driving along the road and the engine management light came on so rang the installer to see if this was just part of bedding in and he asked us to bring it back so back to the installer it went who kept it in for a half day and said he took all the injectors off and started over with them. Got it back but still had the same problems and engine management light came up again. Plus we had now noticed that on acceleration from idle there was sometimes a slight shudder/hesitation and on braking we were sometimes getting a slight shudder now and then which caused the revs to surge and drop just as it went under 1000rpm and also would sometimes shudder and lose power in reverse. The installer had it back for 2 days this time and told me that he had calibrated it extensively and it was running fantastic but said that the engine management light may come on again as the LPG system runs slightly hotter and was causing the CAT to throw up the engine management light even though nothing was wrong. I felt by this point I was being fobbed off. He had changed it back from turning over at 1500rpm to just turning over when the temperature was sufficient for the system to do so, so I tried to remain hopeful however when picking our vehicle up the car was still shuddering as if going to cut out on turn over from petrol to LPG. Tthe installer said that the system just needed to settle in, I said fair enough so you are saying that it will stop doing that in the first 1,000 miles once it has bedded in and he said no he can't promise that and we are still getting all of the above problems. We have also noticed that when they removed the windscreen wipers and rear bumper in order to fit the system they failed to put them back correctly and have had to remove and fit them back correctly ourselves. The installer rang today to see how it is going and when my husband said we are still getting the problems he said he could either remove the system and refund our money or fit an entirely new system. Can anyone shed any light on this at all? Any recommendations as to what to do? When I say that it shudders it is almost cutting out.

i can say that its not the car as i have same car same year same engine and done mine nearly a year ago  

the only problem i had was a leak due to a over size pipe being used 

mine a omvl dream xxi g sequential injection system

which cuts in when car upto temp and the throttle pressed a little no shudder and when lpg runs out there no notice apart from the beepbeep 

i was told by my installer that no need for the oil dip feed but i paid for a £40 to be fitted anyway

had my car inspected by the uk registrar all fine  

Hi there, we have a 2001 3.3 with the LPG Tech system on it, had minor problems as one of the other guys (different system) with the leak due to mis-match of pipe sizes.

However other than that ours has been great, 3 years and 23,000 miles, filter checked eack year.

Ours changes over at temperature, no matter what revs.

i would suggest get your money back, go somewhere else, and as has been suggested get a BRC system.

I don't work for them either. But our new (2005 XS stow n go) is in at the minute for precisely that!

Tank underneath in place of spare wheel, and one in the passenger side seat stow well.

Apparently it gets slightly better fuel economy - every little helps.

Sorry also meant to add our engine light did come on too, but when the guys (Panache in Manchester) adjusted the system its stayed off since but it never, ever ran badly, smooth as you like from the off, no different at all from petrol.

We've not got the valve saver oil thingy. Car now has 90,000 miles on it.

Hi all, I'm in the same situation now. I've got a 3.3 petrol and I want to convert it. I'm based in Brecon, Wales anybody know any good converters for the LPG nearish to me? I want to make sure I get a decent job done as I'm a wheelchair user and don't want it breaking down! What are the prices like on LPG at the moment where you guys are? I currently found somewhere nearby that's selling it at 56p/litre is that good (I think it is)? My Voyager is an 07 model, and has only done 67k, she just went through the MOT with 1 advisory, and I've just had it serviced so I think it's worth converting?! I love it, the niggles all the time are a pain but hey ho!

Cheers in advance for any replies!

Edited by robbie2red

Hi there!

Well, our 2005 model mentioned above, has only done about 17,000 miles on gas so far, been sharing the miles with a Galaxy drizzel.

Sadly I have no personal knowledge of a converter near you, but there used to be one called Profess who seem to have gone down seriously hill recently according to Google reviews after an owner change from man to wife.

Personally I love the petrol LPG running, even if it is still absolutely awful on mpg - but cheap pence per mile!

At 56p that's not bad, but certain areas are very much cheaper, in Stockport it's 54 currently, Blackpool was 53.7 this week.

Have a look at www.go-autogas.com you will have to register to search but they don't sell your email or bombard with any adds.

Some lucky sods in Coventry look like they pay 39.9p !!!! Cheapest in the country!

Have you had the car long? I was only going to suggest if not to do some miles in it, as I did, to get a feel for it on petrol and see if any little niggles that have been hidden pop up before you spend the money. Then again shed loads of tidgy bits have happened on ours since, hey ho.

Hi Bignev,

Thank you for the swift reply! I've had the car about a year now, and I had it off a friend of mine who I know kept it serviced well etc as he's very fussy like that. The age of her is what concerns me, being an 07, will I get worth doing it out of her. I love it so I think I'm going to if I can find a good converter somewhere nearby. I travel a lot but we use my GV as a camper almost, I'm in a manual wheelchair but me and the Mrs love the room in it!

Thanks for that website to! I'll check it out!

Have a good weekend!

I have an 06 on lpg, currently paying 48p/ltr direct from lister gasses, I try not to use petrol stations if possible as prices vary so much.

I brought mine already converted so can't help with conversion places sorry.

I have 2 50ltr tanks on mine, tucked away in the void where the middle seats should fold into. It means I can't stow those seats but I keep the boot space which is far more usefull.

I can get around 300 mile range on the gas, depending on driving conditions of course.

Thanks Semmysonic!

I was wondering where to put the tank, the boot being the obvious but like you said it's so useful. I think I could put mine where you have to, although the floor in mine had been adapted as it's a wheelchair accessible vehicle, I'll have to get somebody to help me take a look.

Any other suggestions where the tank can go guys? I see something about under the passenger seat?

Thanks!

Is it stow n go? I have a 50 litre tank where the spare went, underneath between driver / passenger seats.

If not then our other standard seat model is an 80 litre tank at the back where the spare was.

On getting your money worth out of it, by now you will have a jolly good idea how "economical" it isn't on journeys or round town - 25 or 16 in my case.

So just do a few sums - 

Best case 25mpg at 8000 miles = 320 gallons, at 1.14 per litre £1656.00 for petrol, or at 56p = £813 for gas.  Saving £843!

And the worse it gets, the faster you save the money of course - 16mpg = 500 gallons, £2588 petrol £1271 on gas = £1317 saving!!!!!!

And still cheaper than a drizzle per mile. And smoother and quieter too. Sorry guys.

Mine has the storage under the carpet in the boot. But as it's called an Entervan now (adapted floor lowered for the wheelchair user), I'm not sure if there'd still be enough room in the underneath. I'm going to call by the garage and see what they say. I'm thinking of trying this company called LPG Swansea, there's only a few reviews for them on google but they're good reviews. The only thing though is, they don't use BRC systems, they use AB or something? He said they use Romano systems as it's easy for most garages to put the diagnostics on??? Him mentioning that makes me a little wary, as hopefully you wouldn't need to put the diagnostics on to often. What are your thoughts guys? Thanks in advance! ;-)

I agree with what you say on the diagnostics thing, but it may well need "tickling" in its first few week to get the mixture spot on, but of course they would be doing this not anyone else.

See my comment on our LPG TECH system, now just shy of 5 years old and fine.

Drivelpg.co.uk looks like a pretty good site to use give a fair amount of information.

I don't know much about the different systems, not had much to do on mine other than change the filter every year and keeping the ignition system in good order.

Lpg is less efficient than petrol, so fuel economy and power will be slightly down but it's not noticeable in these cars and the price difference more than makes up for the economy difference. Almost makes the road tax easier to swallow k owing you pay less tax at every fill.

Having lived with it for a couple of years and doing below average mileage, I would say 100ltr of tank on mine is just enough. Any less and you'll spend a lot of time at the pump(no fun in the cold weather)

PS. I get about 70ltrs max in mine, they don't fill to max due to safety requirements I think.

I thought that a small tank would be a pain too and it could be ((80 litres both of ours) but when you see people at the pumps putting ten and twenty quid of petrol or diesel in then it would probably work out for them hey!!

On a long run a bit more forward planning would be required of course. But well before my car needs a drink I need a coffee, leg stretch for my girls and I and a pee too, so "topping up" isn't usually too much mither for us. 

I would only get probably 240 miles max from ours, usually at most 73 litres. Still crap mpg hey guys!

As you say @@Semmysonic the rest is for safety expansion up to the "blow off" pressure relief value. To leave a vapour level above the liquid level.

Nope me neither!!

go-autogas do an actual old fashioned map, batteries never go flat lose signal or anything!!

And you can download the LPG fillers and installers to a sat nav points of interest, got them on my Tomtom and the wifes Garmin, works well. One for Navman too.

There is a charge but I reckon well worth it, the site gives prices updated by us real users. £12.95 for the map and unlimited satnav updates for a year. Or only £6.95 for the map and one download.

Edited by bignev

Hee hee thought a few of you would have a giggle at that!

There isn't any charge to register with them to search for stations by the way.

BRC is supposed to be good, but as I say our "economy" LPG TECH has been great, I wouldn't say one is better than the other from driving both of them experience / point of view, and no better mpg.

So if the installer is close enough and offers other systems as there are quite a number of options, he should presumably not want you back frequently for free work to put niggles right, no wages in that hey! And doesn't look good either.

Well guys, some more news on this.

Went to ProfesssGas Hengoed, Wales yesterday and he was a really helpful guy. Spoke to a customer that turned up there and he loves his conversion. They’re not UKLPG registered but as he explained I could get that if I needed by going to a Centre in Bristol, and they charge £30 to gain the certification.

They use STAG systems. Unfortunately I will have to take up the boot and spare wheel space for my vehicle as it’s a converted wheelchair vehicle (Braun Entervan). The floor is really low, so unfortunately just can’t fit it anywhere underneath. I’ll be doing a lot of miles in her about 450 a week on average, so I need a large tank. He explained to me that I don’t want to go to big because of the weight. I’m thinking a 120 or 140 ltr tank.

Any thoughts/opinions guys???

Anybody used this STAG system???

Thank you!

Edited by robbie2red