2003 Chrysler Grand Voyager Amp Location

immy000

Question

Hello, 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Can someone help....

I have a 2003 Chrysler G-Voyager  I tried to fit a after market stereo

but when i connected it all up there was no sound I was told that the

speakers are amplified, I've purchased a bypass lead but does anyone

know where the amp is located? 

Pics and diagrams would be much appreciated many thanks.....

5 answers to this question

Hi there,

And welcome to probably a lot of pain for what you're trying to do. I've spent a long time with GV audio and 3rd party kits and the ultimate answer is without buying an expensive wiring harness/connector (In the uk approx £80-100) you'll be out of luck.

I've posted this elsewhere in this and other forums so feel free to search and find my other posts, but basically what I found is that although the audio leads out of the factory stereo (Which one did you have, take a look on the front, it's probably an RB3) seem to match what you'd expect (front left, front right, rear left, rear right) they aren't actually analogue audio feeds but some form of hybrid digital feed.

(I tested by systematically disconnecting and reconnecting leads, and I didn't get expected behaviour)

So, whilst you are probably hitting the first obstacle of trying to power up the external amp (locating this is also tricky as it is in different places on many of the models, so again if you locate it on yours be sure to post back with pics also to help others!) you may still have difficulty feeding audio to it and getting the output you expect.

Good luck and as mentioned do please post back with all the steps you do/try so others can benefit.

I don't mean to butt in on this post but does this mean ALL Voyagers have their speakers amplified and does this explain the high bass/volume levels I experience in my 2008 van? At a volume level of high 20's the bass really kicks in...is this due to them being amped??

The expensive wiring harness I'm referring to isn't simply to switch the amplifier on, so just be cautious. On a couple of models I've worked on the audio is digitally encoded (or at least partially) from the RB3 stock head unit, and therefore pushing a standard analogue signal down these wires just won't do what you expect it to.

(My full method was sitting with probes, an external audio generator, the RB3 head unit and dashboard apart. Testing without the RB3 attached, but amp powered on (i.e. disconnecting the audio leads only from the harness) and you cannot successfully supply all 4 channels of audio to the 'amp' as you would a normal head unit+amp setup. My conclusion is that Chrysler are using some form of digital encoding onto the BUS system of the car to supply. I've not yet taken apart one of the doors and looked at the speakers, nor found the amp in my 2005 (rb3) model but suspect somewhere along the line the BUS is getting involved and taking digital audio rather than analogue from the head unit - I'd like to be proved wrong, but so far nobody has conclusively solved this for all editions as they seem to change the technique almost on each car that rolled off the production line!)