Airbag Warning Light

phil99387

Question

Hi, new to this site and need advice. I have both abs and airbag warning lights on permanantly on my 02 plate Grand Voyager 3.3 petrol. I had a mobile guy out with his hi tech fault code reader which diagnosed a faulty front wheel sensor for the abs but could not find a fault or code for the abs light !!!. I can sort the abs ok but am stumped on the airbag light. I have read lots on a faulty clockspring but they all say you also lose the horn and cruise control but I still have both of these working !!.

Any suggertions gratefully received. thanks.

8 answers to this question

Hi Phil,

Quite a lot of these posts here and elsewhere so a few searches will help you out.

However I have a mk4 (2004 reg) which I think is the same as yours and had this fault a few days ago.

The mobile readers don't always find the airbag fault code, it's a reasonably tricky code to read, not 100% sure if the regular srs readers will do it.

Anyway, I didn't have an srs reader handy, so just went with checking all connections. Under the two front seats you'll find a yellow connector which I believe is the cable junction connector for the seat sensor, etc, and is tied to airbag.

(airbag warning light comes on when self test daily, ie sensor in seats fail, seat belt pretensions fail, etc)

Unplug and check for corrosion in the connectors,plug back in firmly, etc. (btw don't do this whilst ignition on as apparently this can trigger a fault light too)

Also check the seat belt sockets, are they at the same height? If one is lower then the belt trigger may have fired and need replacing, that's an easy visual check.

I'm sure others will reply and explain more and have better info, but that's a worthwhile start.

Good luck!

Hi Phil

Had this problem as well ! get the speed rings checked on the wheels 1 or more could be dirty or broken I had to have 2 replaced on opposite corners, go for after market not genuine as again genuine parts require a mortgage. Another thing to check is the wiring track on the electric doors make sure they are not damaged as they could cause the airbag light to come on, as I said in your other post go to ukchryslerspares.

Good kuck

Hi Andy & Phil

New member hello, got the air bag light problem on my 06 S&G a one owner from new 43K last year  FSH noticed light on test drive asked  said they could not get diagnosed even at main dealer  !! Will try your tips Andy

Also got the radio problem had 51 plate prev no problems 

Hi there Mike,

Welcome to the club! Yes the air bag lights are quite common on GV's unfortunately. The garage you had trying to get the diagnoser on it, that probably wasn't a 'genuine' Chrysler dealership as they have the tools. Most other garages use a VAG or similar diagnostic scanner which just doesn't do the job on our beasts, they need a specific scanner to get the codes (so almost all back-road garages will plug in and say 'NO CODES FOUND' which means their scanner didn't understand the car).

But yes, good first check is the connectors under all the seats.

Also, check the lengths of the seat buckle. Is the driver and passenger side both the same length? If one is considerable shorter then chances are the seat pre tensioner has fired at some point and needs replaced.

Then, do your steering wheel controls work (cruise control, horn?), if they don't then it's the clockspring in the steering wheel that has failed and needs replacing.

(In the end a very kind chap from another forum put my car on his reader and confirmed it was a seatbelt pre tensioner on mine, but it was just the connector was loose)

The other good news, is the airbag light will SELF-REMOVE. i.e. if you fix the problem it will turn the light out. So good to test yourself, just check all connectors and then start engine up, wait a few seconds and see if it goes out.

Good luck, and please do post back on your progress or what you find.

Hi @@Kennybaker

(Quick note, start a new thread and you'll get more people replying/helping you out)

Anyway, ABS and airbag lights coming on are usually the clock spring. It will also cause the horn not to work too, so when the lights are on, try the horn, I bet it won't work!

The clock spring is a coil of wire that sits in the steering wheel and provides the electrical functions. Over time the wires degrade with all the motion and fail, which sounds like the issue with yours.

I've had mine changed but was under warranty so don't know what's involved, warning on it though, as it's the steering wheel and behind the air bag take precautions when working in that area as you would under and airbag location.