Starting Problem

almaff

Question

Hi, my 2006 ''56'' plate GRAND VOYAGER has been playing up a little bit lately. Sometimes, it's sluggish when I start (Just about starts), other times, it just starts straight away. (Plenty of power) This afternoon it just died on me,I tried starting it and all it did was click, click, click. A friend of mine gave me a jump start and it started, got about 50 yards up the road and it died again. He put the jump leads on again, but this time we gave it about 10 minutes to let the battery charged up a bit. Anyway, started it again no problem. As I was driving it home,all the dash lights came on (Airbag,ABS,Seatbelt,Management etc etc) and the speedometer and rev counter was doing a full turn. Eventually the gearshift markings (PRDN3L) started flashing and eventually faded out,the car shuddered and finally cut out again. Does anyone know if it's the battery or the alternator? If it's them at all.

3 answers to this question

if its click click this happenened on mine it was battery but didnt have as many symptoms as yours my neighbour has astra he had all your symptoms and his was the battery my local aa autocare shop had one for 80 pounds hope this helps 

if you fit new battery dont forget to rough up connections sandpaper will do and copper grease terminals

Hi, thanks for your reply. I put a new battery on and after approx. 3 hours, exactly the same happened. I'm now expecting it to be the alternator as it's obviously not charging. Shall get alternator tested first thing on Monday morning. Again, thanks for your swift reply.

hi before you put in new alternater get it tested to see if its charging the garage should test it before they install new alternater if garage fitting it 

if you doing yourself you can buy tester cheap enough 

or alternativly if you in rac or aa and you got home start call em out they will test it [if it wont start ]

this happened on mine 2 days after bought it it just died on school run 

if not alternater then you might have short somewhere that is draining battery

hopes this helps