Transmission Fluid & Filter Change

jonnyjeep

Question

Yesterday, I decided it was a good day to drain the transmission fluid and change the filter....warm and no wind (to blow dust up into the exposed under belly of the valve body). After 85,000 miles it probably needed it ;)

I bought a Mercedes NAG1 transmission kit a few weeks ago with 6 litres of ATF+4, a new filter and rubber gasket.

I drained the oil via the transmission sump plug & after this had dripped almost dry, removed the sump & poured the rest of what was in the bottom of the sump into my big bowl. After pouring it out of my 'big bowl' into a 1 litre jug & then pouring it into an old oil can, I found that only 4 litres had come out :huh:.

I had read that the usual drain is about 6-7 litres.....But have since read, that 4-5 litres is the norm for a partial oil drain. I guess that the torque converter keeps a good majority of the fluid.

Anyway, cleaned up the inside of the sump & magnet, new gasket & exactly the same amount of fluid put in that came out & all is tickety-boo :P .

I did buy an after market dipstick to check the level (had to break MB seal...boo-hoo for main dealers) & after a good warm up, the level is spot on  :)

Edited by jonnyjeep

1 answer to this question

Hi,

I have also recently changed the oil and filter and gasket on this car with no issues,

I also brought the long dipstick for this car,

But can you tell me where the oil is supposed to be on the dipstick,

On one side of the dipstick is has two sections noting the temp , one for 25 temp and the other for 80 temp, on the other side increments upto 11.

So I checked my oil with engine on idle and not warmed up, so the oil fell in the range of the 25 degrees markers with seems right to me, so assume when engine is hot it would fall into the 80 degree markers..

Just found the instructions that  came with the dipstick and that says to use the increments as a guide, 

Basically I'm asking which side of the stick did you use as a guide

Cheers