A Quick Question.........

FazerThou

Question

7 answers to this question

I thought sucking the oil out of an engine was a BMW main dealer trick, along with also not replacing the filter  :rolleyes:

Best to remove the sump plug & let gravity do the job :)

Was able to suck the oil out of the sump, got 10.5 litres out of it! Filter was easy to replace as its on top of the engine. 

Happy Days.  :D

10.5 litres :o .....I thought that the CRD engine took 9.5 litres to top of dipstick. Since I've had the car (bought in Feb 2020), I've done two oil changes & both times have got 9.5 litres out & replaced it with 9.5 litres.

I know some cars do have a factory fill that can be half a litre to a litre more than the service fill. So to get 10.5 litres out can only mean that there was a litre too much in there, or you managed to suck the engine bone dry ;)

It's a good thing though, that we can put in exactly what comes out....means it's not leaking or burning oil. This car is one of few diesels I have owned that never uses any engine oil & never needs any top ups between changes. The only other diesel that I ever owned that never needed oil top ups was my old Saab 2.2 TiD.

The one thing that does worry me about sucking the oil out from the dipstick tube is, does it suck out sludge ? Sludge is kind of a thing of past when you used to drain old Ford Cortina engines & it used to come out when you drained the sump....there was no way that poo could ever be pulled out a filler tube 'cos it was way too thick. I wonder how much sludge we have in these sumps ?. Unless you pull the sump off, you will never know, but the only way to get most of it out is to remove the sump plug.

Sump plugs have been fitted by every car manufacturer for draining oil since the year dot & that is the proper way to drain oil. If there was a better way, then car manufacturers would have have invented it.

Tinpot amateur inventors & idiot youtubers who think they know better are just trying to endorse a product that doesn't actually work properly because they are probably being paid to do so.

Edited by jonnyjeep

Sorry if my previous post seemed a little offensive or patronising....I suppose I'm just a bit 'old skool' (as the kids say nowadays) & believe too much in traditional methods of engine servicing.

Although, I must admit to being a little bit of a modern mechanic, because I do have quite alot of diagnostic software on an old windows 7 laptop that is used for nothing else apart from car diagnostics....but it doesn't tell me how best to change the oil :rolleyes:

Edited by jonnyjeep

No worries Jonnyjeep, you don't know me or my experience so no offence taken :) - I would usually drain from the sump as well, just couldn't be bothered getting the ramps and extenders out!

Maybe next time, I'm planning on changing the transmission oil at the next service, so it'll be worth the extra effort.

You mention diagnostic software - is there anything easily available for the 300CRD? I've got a good code reader/scanner, but sometimes a laptop can delve a little deeper.

Hi FazorThou, regarding laptop software for the 300C, then the best I have found is 'AppcarDiagFCA'. But it will only work with a genuine ELM327 v1.4 interface. AppcardiagFCA software is about £50 now, although I paid £45 a year ago.

Be warned though......Don't buy an ELM327 v1.5a (as sold on ebay) interface, because they are fake chinese rubbish & dont work with the AppcardiagFCA software. ELM have never produced a v1.5a version.

Genuine ELM v1.4 interfaces are quite hard to find & can be a bit pricey, but I managed to get one off ebay a year ago for £20 :)

Edited by jonnyjeep