Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8 Cdr

swells

Question

I'm hoping someone here can help me I have a Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8 CDR 2006 that cuts out this normally happens when it's cold and under acceleration first the radio and instruments stops working the engine will continue to run for 1 or 2 seconds and then stop sometimes if I take my foot off the accelerator as soon as  the radio and instrument stop the power comes back before the engine stops and the car will continue normally. (Other electrical items may stop but I only noticed the radio and instruments)   

Reading this forum I understand that the fuel filter is a known problem so I have checked it and there is no sign of a crack there is no sign of diesel there is no smell of diesel so I don't think this is the problem in this case. Also the fact that electrical items are stopping makes me think this is an electrical problem rather than a fuel starvation problem.

This is now driving me absolutely mad it's not a nice feeling having a car that you can't trust to get you to where you want to be, which is a shame because In all other respects I really like this car. 

So if anybody out they can point me in the right direction even if it means telling me I'm being a complete idiot and I'm completely wrong I would still be really grateful.

1 answer to this question

Hi there!

Now, this is a bit of a guess based on the other electrical stuff going off before the engine, but there's a small chance it could be an electrical ground wire not doing its job fully. I don't know why that would be related to being cold though....

My other car is a 2005 Subaru, and on that forum it's quite usual for all manner of electrical gremlins to be caused by loose or corroded earth straps.

So it's a cheap and simple place to start. I'm assuming it doesn't bring on the engine management light, so no fault codes to give you a possible starting place?