Cannot See Transmission Oil On Dipstick

MBA1

Question

new MK5 2010 owner. Changed the transmission oil, filter and gasket and made sure it is dry.  I took out 5.1 Ltre and it was really brown and bad quality.  it looked like it has never been changed in 120000 Miles!!!

I replaced with 5 Litle of Mopar ATF+4 oil and checked but could not see any oi on dipstick.  I added another 500ml and only the tip of the dipstick shows any sign of oil.  Went for a 20 minute drive to get hot and tested again  but all I see is oil stuck all opver the dipstick and impossible to read.

I let it cool down and tested again when idel for 10-15 minutes and still not much sign of oil on dipstick.  I added another 500ml but I can barely see any oil,   I do not want to add any more until I know for sure it needs more.

I guess I could keep adding until I can clearly see the oil and then suck it up if I have to.

I have tried the paper towel smear, built a new  flat dipstick with horizontal noches etc...   and atill not sure if I have enough oil

PS:  On the side of the gear box above the pan there is a cover.  At the bottom of that which is level with tiop of the pan, I can see a very very small amount of oil but I would not call that a leak.  I wonder if this gear box had burned or leaked more oil than I took out???

Any ideas?   I really need your help

3 answers to this question

I think I can see the problem.  I kept adding more oil and eventually after 6.5 litres total, I have enough in there and I can see oil on dipstick.  There is a cover on the side of the transmission which is just above the pan.  The bottom of the cover is just flush with the pan and I can see a very small leak. I cannot see it dripping as I cleaned it yesterday and it is moist with oil in one spot.  Obviously there was a leak and previous owner ignored it.  It probably was running on low oil for a while and I hope there is no damage. 

I cannot see a gasket so I try to remove and use RTV gasket to put it back on.  

In total, I changed tran oil+filter, engine oil+filter, Air filter, Fuel filter and the car sounds so much quieter and smooth. 

Here is the photo of the leak section:   
post-3693-0-44949500-1615973351_thumb.jpg

Is there anything else I should think about doing to this MK5?

Now back to work on that side cover...

Sounds like you may have averted a potential disaster with that gearbox !!

Yet another owner who never checked under the bonnet hey! Sadly all too much the norm nowadays, if there isn't something digital electronic to tell them about it then it isn't happening! I'll stay off my soap box regarding modern "driving aids"........

Well I turned the wheel to get access and just tightened the bottom 3 nuts by very tiny amount.  I did not want to shear off or squeeze the gasket underneath any more.
You can actually see a metal bracket to provide more strength or protection on the bottom 3 nuts and that is where the leak is.

I cleaned with grease cleaner and brake clean.  I went for a good 25 minute drive and also kept it running for another 10 minutes.  It is as dry as I like to see.

I will keep checking for the next few days.  If it leaks then it is the case of getting that cover off 10-12 bolts + Clean + RTV back on to be real sure.  (Already ordered Permatex Black RTV Gasket Maker)

I also made a dip stick out of flat piece of metal (Actually the metal coils that is used to unblock pipes !!)  and put notches at 10mm and 40mm.  It is easy to read as I sanded the surface too.

I currently have the proper 40mm when hot.  I am reasonably confident this should be it unless I see a leak again.   Fingers crossed!