Real World Miles Per Gallon?

Yankee2000

Question

Hi,

I'm an American and I've driven a Grand Voyager every summer for the last few summers on our yearly road trips in California...

We really love the car and are looking to get one here in England where we live...

We are probably looking at a used 2012 Grand Voyager...

Gas is loads cheaper in the states than here in England so I never blinked at what the costs where... plus it was all highway mileage...

so...  any UK owners on here can enlighten me as to the real world UK miles per gallon running costs?

also, when I mention to my UK friends that we want to get a Chrysler Grand Voyager their heads all explode...  why they hate? 

I know first hand how large and spacious and great it is for families...  my kids also play drums and the harp amongst other instruments but the drums and harp need loads of space...   

anyway, some real world UK owner feedback would be great...

I'm also at ease doing oil changes and repairs like fixing doors etc myself...  i also have a 1968 Dodge Charger and that one gets 8 miles per gallon on a good day...  

anyway, thanks in advance...

12 answers to this question

my 2003 3.3 auto petrol with lpg fitted

getting 17mpg on the overhead readout being in usa gallons work out 20.5 uk  the first mile is on petrol then rest on lpg working out .16 per mile when buying lpg at .70p per lt which it is in my local it is as low as .53p about 20 miles away

hey that's cool...   

anybody else want to share their experiences? Perhaps with the Diesel models?

Don't forget guys - the computer tells lies! Usually 2 to 3 on my 3.3.

My Ford Galaxy to the tune of 10mpg - 42 real but 52 on the display, recently 30 real and 38 on the display.

In the UK -when the fuel light comes on reset the trip, try 45.4 litres in, 10 gallons in old money, then when the fuel light raises it's head again divide those miles by 10 gallons.

My trip computer telling me my average mileage is correct when running petrol, but slightly off when driving on LPG. But the numbers posted are all miles driven/litres consumed measurements by hand.

The 2001 didn’t even have a mileage computer so all by hand.

I am surprised though that the old voyager with a 2.4 was consuming more than the new voyager with the 3.8 (much heavier and a bigger engine)

I’ve owned my 2009 Grand Voyager 3.8 v6 Swivel n Go for 3 years now. Being honest, she can be a very thirsty girl when doing short trips. I’ve seen on average 18mpg on short trips. However, on long motorway miles driving steady 50-60mph, I’ve got that up to 38-40mpg. On a 430mile trip I often do, I fill up to the brim. This would probably have got me the whole 430miles if I had the balls to risk it. But the coward in me pulls in for fuel. Edited by FurballPhil

4 fills now with the mk5 2.8crd and i constantly get 9.3l/100km acording to the computer and a range of 730km, real life from diesel light on to diesel light on i got 460 475 462 and 470 every fill was 75 74 76 and 72 liters. I am not doing it any favours for eco driving and stuff and i use it for daily comute 32 miles in the morning and the same in the evening but takes 20 minutes more in the evenings do to trafic instean of a 30-35 min trip.

To be fair i was expecting more fuel usage then this... for the purpose of everyday life i consider it does 30mpg as it seems does not go much lower or higher regardeless of the way i drive.

And... it drinks 1L/h on idle not bad considering the size of the engine. Might be relevant for who would wait for aircon on.