Car Wont Start The Saga Goes On Part 2

oldginger

Question

Hi all, I have just finished refitting my rebuilt ECU and exchange alternator plus some basic circuit testing. I have to now find a good mobile auto electrician with diagnostic knowledge to help get it started or it will go for spares ,repair losing me lots of time and money. Daughters cancer op. postponed due to stomach bug and youngest sons marriage has broke up. What a !!!!!!!!!!! year. I still cannot get an answer to ( how does a covid 19 germ know it has to die at 2 metres distant?) and after spending millions on field hospitals some idiot expert decides to put people with an infectious and incurable decease into the general hospital population putting all staff and existing patients at risk as well as closing cancer and other serious illness units leading to premature deaths and it still goes on. Enough of that. if anyone knows a good mobile auto electrician in the Cheltenham area please let me know, regards to all and stay safe Roy. 

4 answers to this question

What's the symptoms? Is the car charging at around 14-14.v? What's been done to the car recently? Anything that could have caused the initial issues? Timing belt jumped a tooth? Something that could have affected the fuel pump?

Just read your other thread I'd replied to about the alternator. Did it start before the timing belt change?

Hope all turns out good for your daughter and son Roy, all the best, Rab

Edited by soupstone

Hi Rab, thanks for the support. Daughter still unwell but I and many of my neighbours  have got a repeating stomach bug problem. I guess its that time of year. Two weeks before my wife past away I went to move the car and it just would not start. This had not happened in the previous 14 months of ownership. I joined the forum after purchase and set about giving the car a full mechanical over haul. £1700 later job done and all the cars known foibles have been sorted. The only upgrade not done is the battery box. I have a new red top that has been performing well. I know a local auto electrician who came out and diagnosed a damaged ECU. He sent it away and it was repaired and tested as far as it could be. Apparently it can only be really tested in the car. The problem is the auto man took ill and testing showed he could not work any more(he is 70). I have contacts, friends and the forum looking for some one with the knowledge and expertise in the Cheltenham area to get it started. Many on the forum especially Andy thinks the 12v spike that caused the problem was the alternator, this has been replaced. The car has had some basic circuit tests but a knowledgeable person needs to be present with the right gear when the battery is reconnected. Everyone so far as not wanted to touch it. The car is in good order and far to good to scrap. It is a stow n go and until this, I believed it was the best car I had owned, but, like every car I have owned since the early nineties computer electrical faults have ruined them. I have purchased a 1991 sohc 8v Rover 214 with no ECU, power steering, electric windows, air con. central locking, just a radio cassette. I am going to see the most practical and easy to maintain car I have owned, I know my wife would approve and I wish she was here to see and decide at last that this a good one. 1976 Austin Maxi 1750. People who have read my topics would probably know this and I have my fingers crossed. I still want to fix the Voyager and may have to sell as spares repair. That's the position so far, if anyone has any idea's they are great fully received. Stay safe, and look after yourselves, Regards Roy.

Hi  gordy,  all I have done is some basic earth and cable connection tests and fitted a recon alternator as advised by forum members. The ecu was damaged by a 12v spike according to the gentleman that repaired it. The auto tech that was going to reassemble it fell ill and has been forced to retire. He is 70. I need a tech  with the correct gear to reset the ecu and hope it starts with out the ecu  being damaged again. I have not reconnected the battery without an expert present and because I have been told not to until the original fault has been fixed. Thats the problem. No one I have phoned so far wants to touch it.