Wheel Rumbling Like Tyre Noise

StevieZ

Question

Had my Grand Voyager 2.8 card limited, for a month, started to get a rumble noise from front wheel, no pulling, but felt slightly through the steering too. Seemed to be coming from o/s/f wheel,so changed tyre, no...then changed wheels...no. So now I've replaced the bearing and hub.....no

Just about to replace the other wheel bearing next week, but it's cooked my brain. Any ideas?

Thanks all

4 answers to this question

Could be a drive shaft joint. Do you get any clicking when moving on full lock? Any evidence of grease around the shaft? TBH grumbling is more likely to be bearing so the inner could be fooling you. I assume you have jacked and safely supported the car and spun the wheels for a listen to the bearings.

Tim

Okay you've replaced the bearing & hub, but with new quality items, cheap replacement items, or a 'good' secondhand unit ?. In the (distant) past I've bought cheap Land Rover parts made in India which were as bad as what I took off. That said, the bearing should 'do the same thing' whether its loaded to the left or right.

Is it something bizarre going on like the brake shield rubbing as the alignment distorts ?

If you can SAFELY get the front up into the air with both wheels clear of the ground, try running in gear with someone on the steering wheel while you listen/look at the wheel turning. Did that many moons ago on a Granada and you could see the wheel jumping once it hit a few mph whereas on a static test the bearing seemed fine.