Accelerator Losing Power In ( D )

Daz264

Question

hi guys my gv has been losing all power when pressing the accelerator when driving in (d) drive but seems to drive fine when in 3 gear I have a engine light on but all the diagnostic tests I have done comes back with no fault found . Any ideas ? plz

16 answers to this question

Hiya Daz,

So yes it's slipping which sounds like the solenoid pack is having a fault, you need to get a reader that can talk to the transmission as that'll be where the code is stored, I think it's an Autel (or clone) you'd need so hopefully somebody here in the forums near you can help out otherwise it's an expensive diagnostic visit (loads of garages also won't have the right reader).

To me (at a guess) it sounds like overdrive (the slushy box positions) is slipping, when you force it up to 3 those are mechanical shifts, other shifts are done by the solenoid pack which is on the bottom of the transmission inside the pan, the solenoids do give up over time and cause a fault to be generated.

Hope you get it found!

Hi Daz, actually my mistake the solenoid pack is on the front of the transmission, connector goes on the top of it:

nDsAKzX.png

So that should be where you want to look, when you remove it the ATF will pour out though so best to drain before and refill after.

Edited by andyb2000

Hi guys!

@@Daz264  I did mine a couple of years ago, quite awkward on my V6 petrol as the front bank exhaust runs round that way, and I have some LPG kit above it to, but I think I remember taking the battery off on mine for a bit more access, can't recommend it though as I seem to have read recently some wonderful things happen if the battery is off or dead for a while. Mine has so far been ok on that front, so far.......

Most time consuming thing I had was cleaning up the face for the new gasket!

You won't have to do the fluid, especially as you you say above it's been done recently. It seem to be above the fluid line.

I did ours as it was making a buzzing noise when shifting from neutral, read up a bit, came to the wrong conclusion, got one and changed it. No difference. Ah well.

Edited by bignev

Thx for all ur help guys I changed the solenoid but I have snapped the transmission intercooler pipe bolt going into the transmission. I managed to get the broken thread out the gear box but now I can't find a new bolt I have even tried to buy the whole intercooler pipes and all but with no luck ?

So to be clear ....you say it had no power in other gears apart from 3rd ....so is it a slipping feeling ...does it have any drive in 4th , the forward clutch packs often share 2 gears , the revs build but no power to the road ?

When you drained the auto oil ...was it black and smelled of burned toast ? if you would of drained it into a container and let it settle you would of seen the black powerdery clutch plate material sat at the bottom .

Generally with autos if you get slipping sensations and loss of drive if the oil level is good the damage is already done ....oil changes or solenoid pack changes will not fix it , the forward clutch packs have lost so much material they cannot clamp and allow drive .

Does it have drive in reverse ?

So to be clear ....you say it had no power in other gears apart from 3rd ....so is it a slipping feeling ...does it have any drive in 4th , the forward clutch packs often share 2 gears , the revs build but no power to the road ?

When you drained the auto oil ...was it black and smelled of burned toast ? if you would of drained it into a container and let it settle you would of seen the black powerdery clutch plate material sat at the bottom .

Generally with autos if you get slipping sensations and loss of drive if the oil level is good the damage is already done ....oil changes or solenoid pack changes will not fix it , the forward clutch packs have lost so much material they cannot clamp and allow drive .

Does it have drive in reverse ?

Also the engine light being on , what kind of code reader was used ?

If the light is on there must be a stored code , was it just an obd scanner type , you need a dedicated manufacturer specific as this will search the address protocol for manufacturer specific codes .

We have an autel tool which is pretty good on chrysler

It drives OK in all gears but wud just fall into idle and gas peddle don't rev at all when pressed this started happening in drive so k put it in 3 and it was driving ok but now it happens in 3 also . No slipping just dead peddle I have tried my Fordell old and 3 snap on scan tools but no luck I have changed the solenoid and 2 sensors and tranny oil was clean no dirt no metal so I don't think its the tranny maybe the peddle not sure . Thx