Starting Fault.

biscuit

Question

From cold the engine fires up and runs okay but when warm it fires up then dies, I have to catch it as it fires with the throttle then it runs fine. I don’t have any experience of diesels so any help /advice appreciated. It’s a 2005 voyager 2.8 crd and there is no fault codes.

2 answers to this question

Not much wrong with it then. Starts and runs fine when cold. Starts and sort of fine when hot as it needs caught on the spin to keep it going. So what is it a weak mixture when hot But runs ok. EGR maybe needing cleanout. Sensors shouldn't alter with temp.

This may be totally irrelevant and pointing you in the wrong direction BUT....

My bus starts most mornings with little problem, on warm, hot days I can travel 2 miles or twenty and it's a toss of the coin whether it will behave or not (fuel starvation.. 10 seconds on the starter sometimes fires her up sometimes not. I have not solved this to my satisfaction but can always (so far) get her to fires by pumping the finger button on the fuel pump.

There must be minor an air leak somewhere in the fuel system but buggered if I can find and perhaps the heat in the engine compartment exacerbates the problem t. Anyway, just try a couple of presses on the rubber 'thing' atop the fuel pump, if it cures the problem (only for that instance) then you're in the same boat I am.

I now carry a 15" length of plastic conduit to assist with this process as I was always ripping the skin off my hand, wrist due to the clever way Chrysler have buried the pump at the lower front of the engine below the sharpened edge of the slam panel. Now it's a breeze - but still the #1 on my sh*t list.