Typewriter

biscuit

Question

I’m slowly losing the will to live, I have noises like a heavy typewriter from the front suspension. I have replaced top shocker mounts, inner and outer tie rods and anti roll bar links, suspension bushes feel okay and was checked during mot and by garage who did the inner tie rods and seem okay. Help?

11 answers to this question

Anti roll bar bushes fitted after a marathon event including having to split the nuts. Guess what the noises are still there absolutely no difference. Would the struts make this sort of noise? I am also getting a wheel vibration above 55mph which has only just started pre anti roll bar work.

Suspension bushes, is that the antiroll bar bushes. Think I'd get them changed even though look ok and been checked. Then there's the control arm, take it bushes are ok here. Check front bolt of arm is secure, tight, with weight on ground.

Hi Gordy, have just changed anti roll bar bushes when the inner and outer track ends were changed the mechanic said the lower arm were fine and it had just gone through a MOT? I have just been out and lifted at the front wheel arches and there’s a light clonk at the top end of the strut, so I have a feeling the top mounts and bearings I fitted last year may have failed. There was no noise at the bottom of the strut. I’ll take one strut off rain permitting and have a look.

That's a sod the bolts wouldn't come out of the clamps for the anti roll bar bushes!!

Even more of a sod that it hasn't made it go quiet.

At one point I had a "graunch" noise on ours, related to down / up when going over speed bumps, so when a top mount bearing went as well I fitted a pair of complete struts. 

They really can be a pain. But apparently not quite as much as the 300C for suspension noises I see from reading on here too.

Jolly cheap money!

Mine were quite expensive at around £230, from Germany, but just dug out the receipt and there's no name on it sadly, I do remember that the make on the damper was one I recognized, KYB I think.

They were however complete units, damper / spring / top mount & bearing.

But mine is petrol - is yours?

Or is it diesel? They are different units.

Edited by bignev

It’s a diesel, jeep Chrysler offered me a deal of £102.00 for pair of struts, top mounts and bearings so have bought them, we shall see how long they last. Strangely I took one strut off today to find the mounting hole has elongated in the top mount! I’m rather mystified but have made a temporary fix with old mount, sounds and feels a little better, just have to wait for new stuff to come.

New struts and mountings fitted and all the unwanted noises have gone plus the car is so much smoother to steer. Mot is due at the end of August so a couple of minor jobs to do. So having done the radiator the car is running quite well at the moment. Thanks all for your advice.