Whistling Noise On Hard Acceleration

harris266

Question

Hi all.

Ive got a 2008 chrysler grand voyager 2.8 crd. It has a whistling noise when the turbo kicks in. At first i thought it was the turbo and so went through the painful task of replacing it. On test drive the noise is exactly the same. No difference at all which therefore rules out the turbo. The noise is not there unless the turbo is spooling. No noises at idle. Just when the turbo comes in. Once youve reached speed and lay off the revs the noise goes away but as soon as you put your foot down its back.

Am kind of hoping all you pros on here have any ideas. The car has had recent timing belt and water pump change but like i said no noises at idle.

I will try and get a video later.

Stumped.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or info.
Mark

1 answer to this question

Whistling noise about an engine usually tells you that there is an air leak, or in this case a charge air leak between the turbo and cylinder head inlet port. Some people my tell you otherwise that whistling means turbo is working properly so it whistles, well. A little info on HST power cars, when the driver opens it up for go power, the engine revs increase as does the turbo. At or near top Turbo speed the vanes go through sound barrier which makes the whistle. But the whistle comes up through the big silencer on the roof and out in this case.

So look for the leak in your manifold and hoses.