Running In Limp Mode

pat96

Question

I HAVE A 2010 300C TOURER ,THAT IS RUNNING IN LIMP MODE . THIS IS THE SECOND TIME -- FIRST TIME WAS THE SPEED SENSOR WHICH WAS REPLACED AND WAS FINE FOR 1500 MILES. 

NOW ITS IN PERMANENT LIMP MODE. NO FAULTS ON DASH, BUT DIAGNOSTICS SAY TORQUE LOCK SOLENOID . HAD THAT REPLACED ,BUT CANNOT CLEAR FAULT.

SO..THEY SAID IT WAS A COMPUTER FAULT , I TOOK IT TO THE CAR COMPUTER CENTRE IN LONDON , THEY CHECKED WIRING AND CONNECTIONS . SO DIAGNOSIS WAS THE TCM AT FAULT , NO POWER TO THE SOLENOID . THE CAR WAS ALSO REPROGAMMED - -  BUT NO CHANGE . BOUGHT AN IDENTICAL USED ONE FROM A 2010 JEEP--ALL PART NUMBERS MATCH UP.

I'VE PIGGY BACKED THIS UNIT TO THE CAR , BUT STILL IN LIMP.

SO FAR I'VE SPENT £800 ON THIS ALTOGETHER , SO NOW PRETTY DESPERATE.

WHAT I NEED IS OBVIOUSLY ,IS ADVICE WHAT TO DO NEXT AND IF ANYONE KNOWS OF SOMEONE IN THE SURREY AREA WHO COULD RESOLVE THE PROBLEM . MANY THANKS  :(

Edited by pat96

5 answers to this question

Mate, I feel for ya.

There are hundreds of reasons why modern cars will go into limp mode, sometimes for the most ridiculous reason. I can't recommend anywhere in Surrey but would you be able to limp the car to Knebworth in Hertfordshire?

My 300 has gone into limp mode twice over the past two years, each time I took it to a small company called Herts Auto Tek. Can't recommend them enough, these folks really know the black art of engine fault codes, engine remapping, etc.

www.hertsautotek.co.uk

01438 829000

Driving it shouldn't cause any damage. Limp Mode is designed to protect the car when the computer detects a fault, if it was really serious the car would just shut down. However, I know from experience how frustrating it is to drive a car when it's in Limp. Maybe drive across London from Surrey to Hertfordshire... you'll struggle to get above 30 mph on any given day so you won't notice the limp.

okay thanks for you're input on this.

in the back of my mind, i'm thinking this could be a corroded wire / connection somewhere.

the car was not used for about a year , and when i took over ownership , it developed a non start issue. had it recovered to a local chrysler dealership who found a corroded wire on starter,and charged me £350 for the privelige of finding that ..