White Smoke On Start Up

Wazz

Question

Hey here's my problem i have white smoke with strong smelling diesel fumes on start up , iv have recently just changed the glow plug thinking this might solve the problem but it has not , and i also found oil on two of the glow plugs also takes a few second more than it should when starting from cold once the engine is warm it will start instantly without any smoke . Any help i can get with this issue would be much appreciated

19 answers to this question

This fault relates to a small time when engine starts and is cold.

Possibly might be the EGR sticking and not closed when starting hence not fully oxygenated air.

Also going to too much fuel for air, Do an injector leakoff test and check for fuel dribbling when cold.

Im not sure about the pressure but iv done an oill change and changed the fuel filter and oil filter and it has improved i get much less smoke but there is still a little coming out on startup , btw im not sure if it's the same for all the models but for mine the 2005 model it takes 5W 40 oil u might have the wrong oil

Put in 20w50 as thought this would bring the pressure up? someone will tell me this was the wrong thing to do. I am open to all comments, thought it may be injectors leaking. Mechanic has said pressure is much too low and probably main bearings of rings?? 

Yeah from what iv heard it could be a number of problems, maybey try replaying the injector seals and possibly the head gasket i suppose it just depends how much money u want to put into it if your doing the work yourself it wont cost much, to change out those bits , just hope its not anything to do with the pistons, that's an expensive garage job

UK cold weather, big heavy cold engine lump even with a webasto supp heater. It's been out in the cold + wind all night.

White smoke suggests insufficient temperature. Blue or black might suggest something else. It's the norm.

I'm under 80k @ 16 years old and get hardly any. All filters done along with full synth oil every year. my 'winterising' was done about 6 years ago, BatteryMOD,screwfixMOD, inlinestatMOD and a webastowatertop. I've no idea where in Spain, your temps or your other engine/low pressure fuel problems but I'd suggest if it doesn't go off in a mile it needs attention my friend. Best of luck.

As you say you've changed the glow plugs and it does need extra turning over before it starts. Have you checked that the plugs are actually working, getting power to them.

Does your engine come with a bleed squeeze bulb on the fuel line to your engine.

What to do before starting your engine is to prime it several times before turning fully to start and see if there is any differance.