Humming Noise From 2.8L Crd Engine

VOYAGER1

Question

Hello,

For nearly one month, when driving, I have been hearing a humming noise coming from the engine side like I am driving without intake filter housing and filter.

Here are what are done, my suspicions and semptoms observed:

• My mechanic performed short underbody checks on the turbo and exhaust connections and, found nothing.
  • Noise cannot be heard when the gear is in "N" (since transmission is still in motion even in "N", this could be eliminated).
  • It's not a bearing sound, since the noise cannot be heard in "N" and during sharp left/right turns done for test purposes (this could be eliminated).
  • It's not a bad bearing sound coming out from the rotating parts of the engine such as belt tensioner, alternator, etc. (this could be eliminated).
  • According to my observations, noise is coming out starting from 2000 RPM when in gear. It's impossible to check this in idle, since the RPM is limited to 2500 RPM. When idle or during throttle off, noise cannot be heard. It dies away suddenly when throttle off while driving.
  • When downhill, noise is not coming out because of throttle off position. But, when uphill or straight driving, noise is always coming out (seems because of crack, dent, loose clamp or something like that in the turbo connections).
  • When driving, if I incline forward, noise can be heard loud and clear, feeling like coming out from the driver or midlle side of the engine.

Last Saturday, we removed the rubber hoses and clamps and, checked the aluminum connections and found nothing. After cleaning the hoses, we reinstalled them without doing anything, since everything seems ok inside and outside the hoses. When I drive, I can hear the noise but, if I sit in the passenger side, in the mid seats and in the rear bench seat, I can hear nothing. It's very interesting that the noise is like a ghost shifting from right to left.

I started to doubt myself...  :wacko:  I guess, I have to go to the muffler shop this time on this weekend...

Any help and/or idea would be greatly appreciated.

2 answers to this question