Heater Controls Gone Haywire

Eightpint

Question

Hi,

Recently my heater temp dial has gone haywire, in otherwords if I turn the dial to the warmest I get cold air,if I turn the dial down to the coldest position I'm getting warm air,

Also the dial you use to direct air to certain areas like the windscreen, face or the floor etc has gone haywire, to get air to windscreen I now have to turn dial on to the floor!!

All this has happened since I replaced the back lights on the heater control panel, I have reopened the heater control panel again and you can't fit the circuit board in backwards, all I can think of is when soldering the new bulbs on the circuit board in the heater control panel somehow I've done some other damage...

If anyone knows of another reason why this is happening please type

7 answers to this question

Was it all working fine before you took it apart? If so then it has to be your soldering fix mate. Those circuits boards are very delicate things. Static electricity from your fingers, too much heat can fry the chips.

Your best bet now is to buy a second hand heater control on ebay. Try these boys https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/chryslerfennsbay

Hi,

My original heater panel worked as it should but had failed lights, so I brought a replacement set of bulbs and attempted my first soldering session, thought I did ok but when fitted it I lost all lights to heater panel plus others!!

Went to my local chrysler scrappy and brought a s/hand unit, again one bulb had failed, so I replaced the failed bulb and now all the back lights work, but my heating has gone haywire!!!

So as you say I probably fried the board, I was hoping it might be something else,

Hopefully third time lucky,

Sadly I think that's the case.

Don't want to teach you to suck eggs, but earth yourself before touching the board. Also, how big is your soldering iron? I also had to replace those lights so I bought a soldering iron with a very fine end. You don't want to get that solder anywhere other than where it should be.

But what a ridiculous set up those lights are! Every other car I've had the instrument lights that either screw in or are bayonet fittings. Having to get solder out is just stupid.   

Well, I bottled out of any more soldering as its costed me two boards already.

I thought about sending my controls upto the 300c custom shop who do a refurb for a decent price.

But I came across a brand new heater control unit on an auction site which was cheaper than a second hand unit!

Issue I had with it, it was from China and it was cheaper than a 2nd hand unit.

In the end I chanced it and it arrived and I fitted it to the car and now all the lights work and the air direction goes to the area of the car I want it to......happy days