Parasitic Power Drain On Battery

Lexicos

Question

Hi All 

Having just found this forum and it seems I have experienced most of the problems out there I am glad to have found you all. Since Chrysler have pulled the plug on support in the UK lets just see if we can do it ourselves. I have been experiencing parasitic power drain for about a year now. It was intermittent but is increasingly in frequency leaving in stranded when out and about.  

I have measured the current draw on the batter to be 1.45 Amps steady after the 5 mins following turning off the Chrysler using a current clamp. This is significantly above the 0.0125 A that other posts have indicated it should be pulling on whilst idle.

I have tested the fuse voltage drop (Using this method) across the accessible fuses and found the following.

M27 ~115mV on a 10A fuse (Ignition switch)

M20 ~50mV on a 15A fuse (Con int light, sw bank)

M4 ~70mV on a 10A fuse (trailer tow)

M36 ~92mV on a 20A fuse (Power out battery)

M13 ~156mV on a 20A fuse (lock unlock)

M12 ~40mV on a 30A fuse (AMP radio)

M38 ~59mV on a 25A fuse (lock unlock motors)

I could not test the Jcase fuses by  this method due to them being sealed. 

Basically the whole system seems to be on. 

I Then went on to remove all (including the JCase) fuses 1 at a time and at no point did the drain drop. I did the same with the relays again no drop in current drain. 

Does anyone know how I can move this forward so that I dont have to disconnect the battery every night. 

Many thanks in advance. 

Lex

3 answers to this question

Did you manage to get any further with this problem? 

I'm just about to get a 5th Gen Voyager with an overnight battery drain fault. 

Until I physically get my hands on it to start testing electrical items, I'm trying to get as many ideas as possible. 

From what I've already read on the internet the top things it may be are:

Obviously the battery. 

The alternator or the alt clutch (if it's the clutch, it may be showing that the alternator is charging when tested,  but may be intermittent so not charging the battery as you thought). 

The infinity stereo amp in the rear. 

Rear power seats circuit fuse J1.

Any more ideas? 

Edited by Sparkey

Quick update

Not sure 100% if this was the issue but it does seem to have solved it.

One of the sliding door windows was broken (would not go up or down no problem) however somehow it got nudged down by about 2mm down so not visibily down and not indicated as open on the vehicle panel. This was basically keeping the entire CAN bus (the electric sysem) on. By manually placing two hands either side and pushing it up to reengage and the CAN bus would switch off along with the ignition. 

What horrid fault with an already broken window.

Took me months to find and only really 

I had a 2007 Mk4 Grand Voyager and the stereo drained my battery every 2-3 days.  Starting was a constant pain and I had to remember to start the car on a daily basis.  I replaced the sterio and by passed the amp and never had an issue

Unfortunately the car dies and now I got an MK5 2010 Grand Voyager with a lot more electrical toys. 
I would be very interested to see if there is drainage issue again in this model.