Dealer Level Diagnostic Needed

Lew306red

Question

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and looking for urgent help and advice.

I've a 2008 GV 2.8crd owned since January with no problems until we took it on holiday.

We did a stright 200+ mile drive from Tamworth to Bideford with no issues, drove all around devon for 5 days still no problems. Then the 6th day we where stuck in lots of stop start traffic took 6 hours to drive 40ish miles and the engine management light came on and gearbox stopped changing gear.

The unhelpful breakdown man plugged in the car and told me I've been racing as its logged a p1745 code which he googled and declared was excessive changes between 2nd and 3rd gear, reset the code and declared the car fixed, but it didn't fix it so towed us home.

I've plugged it in myself using a delphi clone and came up with the same code p1745 which is in fact VLP in open loop or over pressure for 2000 miles or 1000 gear changes between 2nd and 3rd, I've checked the vlp solenoid for open loop and pressure sensor for faults, all I can find is the actual pressure is around 20 - 30 psi higher the target psi on the gearbox hydraulic line.

I've changed the gearbox oil and filter with the correct oil but cannot clear the VLP error counter in the TCM without some serious diagnostics equipment.

Has anyone any experience with this fault and how to reset the TCM module to clear the error counter and put it into learning mode?

I'm sorry for the wordy first post but I'm at a loss now, I'm not new to the world of car repair just at a loss.

Thanks

2 answers to this question

Posted the same question on ChryslerForum.com and got loads of help.

Here's the response for anyone who wants good value tool for everything Chrysler

BiliTheAxe , Yesterday 05:18 PM

Also, this scanner says it can clear VLP's and it is not too expensive.

https://braydentechs.com/dodge-jeep-chrysler-full-system-diagnostic-scanner-code-reader-ilink400-abs-srs-sas-ckp-tpms-ecu-sir-bi-directional-oe-level-scan-tool/

Edited by Lew306red

BiliTheAxe , Yesterday 07:56 PM

I called their technical support number for you and i am waiting for a callback so I can confirm that it will work on a 2008 GV CRD.

The more I look at that scanner, the more interested I am in buying it.

Quote  Multi

BiliTheAxe , Yesterday 08:38 PM

They said that yes, it will work on your vehicle and reset the VLP as it includes all of the programming for Chrysler vehicles from 1996 to 2019.