Gear Knob Replacement.

TJB

Question

My gear knob is looking pretty worn, a lot of the silver paint has come off, and I was considering replacing it - until I saw the price.

Now my eyes have stopped bleeding, I had a look for an alternative and this popped up. It's for a Jeep Renegade which, having had a look at one recently, appears to have a very similar shifter mechanism to the Delta, and its one third of the price of the Delta item and it's leather, so probably a bit more tactile.

Anyone else tried a knob exchange? If so, how did it go?

Bfgxheh.jpg

Edited by TJB

10 answers to this question

Sorry not tried Tim - I know there are a few haters of the OE knob due to its squareness - I quite like it actually! 

I quite like the design, but it hasn't worn well, and I certainly wouldn't pay the insane asking price for a replacement that will just go the same way. I did some work on a 1.6 Multijet Renegade and noticed how similar the gear stick arrangement is and it got me wondering. I may just take the gamble and give it a go; it's cheap enough.

I did think about hydro dipping. 

Edited by TJB

Before taking the plunge, I decided to take the old knob off and check the fixings / dimensions. As you can see from the pic below. Fitting the Renegade knob would have meant filing a flat on to the gear stick. So I decided against that, and went down the refurb route. Clean and flat with 1200 grit, 2 coats of aluminium paint  4 of clear lacquer later. Job done.

xaOdxiu.jpg

1BWAhrN.jpg

PhUpEjQ.jpg

Total cost; zero as I'd the paint left over from another job.

I still might look for an alternative, but I don't dislike the original. I'll see how this turns out.