New Noise! Beeping With The Ignition Key

Ade

Question

Hello, newbie here. I've introduced myself in the newbie section.

I have a 2007 300c CRD.
The EGR valve gasket was leaking oil so I got a local garage to sort that.
I picked the car up yesterday afternoon and I have gained a noise.
If I put the ignition key in and turn the ignition on, after 4-5 seconds there is a harsh sounding electronic beeping noise. Maybe 6-7 beeps in a second or two. Rapid.
I get the noise if I start up straight away or just turn on the ignition. Same noise.
It's NOT the bong bong of the seatbelt. The bloke in the garage suggested that 'fix' but all that has achieved is to turn back ON the bong bong of the seatbelt!! http://www.bonnevilleamerica.com/forums/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
This is my third 300c. Never had this before.
My first thought was maybe the battery in the key is low. The transponder thing getting low. I don't know.
Internet searches all seem to turn up the seatbelt noise. It's not that.
I've had enough American cars to know the usual 'key is in', 'door is open', 'your hair looks nice today' noises.

Car drives fine. Better in fact than before (I assume the sensor on the EGR valve is sending the right signals now the leak is fixed?).
I can't just carry on driving it like it is just because it runs ok, I find modern cars don't make electronic sounds for no reason.

Cheers in advance.

5 answers to this question

Hi, firstly get into car and turn ignition on, you will get 5 to 6 beeps, I think this is a pre warning that your belt isn’t fastened, when you start driving without belt on then you get the intermittent bong bong.....try getting into car and fastening your seatbelt first before you put key in ignition, you shouldn’t get any beeps, so I buckle up before I start ignition and it goes away every time, cheers Sean

Thanks Sean

Since I’ve had this car, I’ve never had the gentle bongbong chimes with the seatbelt. It must’ve been turned off.

When I got it back off the garage and it was doing this noise, he did a little search on the internet. The description he gave me turned the bongbong back on !

It does it whether the belt is fastened or not.

I WhatsApp’d a vid to a mate in Wisconsin on the off chance he might know someone. I’m hoping to get something back.

Dudley eh? I’m originally from just up the road, West Brom.