Front Shocks

brit644

Question

2.8 stow n go auto.

MOT due this week, just had a pre inspection [give me time to get needs in as I heard some rattling, thought maybe bearing as just had both front hubs replaced] My mechanic tells me both top bushes gone. Is it worth just getting new shocks while he's in there. Heard they're a pig...which I mentioned. 'We do the big Transits so pretty sure wont be a problem'...???

Thanks

Keith 

2 answers to this question

The problem is the squeezing of the coil spring both taking out and putting in. Its said whether believable or not that many garages won't touch this job on Voyagers due to this issue. We did mine a few years back and as long as you have decent coil spring compressors and a rattle gun the jobs a doddle. Mind rebuild bottom of strut in same position on hub as some cars can have camber adjustment there. 

Thanks for that

Told guy at my usual mot spot [great place] He had seen it has I had the vehicle it lifted in, [speed bump had the shock rip thru the upper downwards..literally, pop thru the coil and and wedge into the fitting/surround. Made taking it out awkward as the spring isnt fixed. [watched him..it went twang..at which point I left] Called me 40 mins later with both shocks replaced and in place...He said wasnt such a big deal. He said his tools were very old very heavy duty, non of the modern monkey metal stuff. [his plan b was to lower the four poster down to compress but didnt need it]  

Maybe he's pretty good. Took him 90 mins to put 4 new bushes in the rear shocks plus new egr valve and egr solenoid.

However, he couldnt solve overheating on hill's, did a full flush etc etc, still overheats. We've now found the thermostat on that vehicle has a sensor attached, appears they changed for that particular late model year for emission's. Waiting for one being shipped from USA [Chrysler dont make them anymore]

We think its mixed up being with Fiat...What now with Renault deal happening lol