Not Turning Over.

Crachat

Question

My '04 GV 2.8 diesel auto was running fine Saturday afternoon. Turned off for a few minutes and now won't turn over in 'P' or 'N'. 

Have tried charging the battery (7 hours on trickle charger), jump leads from another vehicle with engine running for an hour, disconnecting the negative lead for about 30 minutes, all to no avail.

When I turn on, all dash lights are fine and extinguish as they should, wash/wipe works, heater fan ditto but when I turn the key the clock goes out and the heater fan drops speed. Makes no difference if I turn fan off.

Before I get it towed to a garage does anyone have any bright ideas?

Thinking gear position reader or starter?

Any help gratefully received.

14 answers to this question

Thank you both, I have a chap coming to do some brake work on my Sebring tomorrow and he is aware of the problem.  I will point him towards the underside of the GV, prime him and let him fly.  Hopefully he will work some magic.  The battery is 3 years old (Halfords) and after I wasn't happy with the way it was behaving a couple of years ago, they tested it and it was showing just about 12.5 volts.  Hmm, I'm sensing a theme here! I will update as and when.

- trigger wire on starter motor

- both earth's undone / cleaned / redone

- new/borrowed-charged 800/80 battery

- check LP system

- assuming factory alarm "self protect mode"

If it's zero, zilch attempt to even power the Bendix it's "protect" mode or 'trigger wire'/ Earth's.

RedTop fully charged is a straight swap. What CCA is the 3 year old battery is currently fitted ? Re-make the spade connector direct connection IGN to STARTER. Best of luck.

As Inspector Cleusau would say, the problem she is sol-ved! Loose spade connector on the starter motor. Crimped up and now starting. Thank you all for your help and advice.

As Inspector Cleusau would say, the problem she is sol-ved! Loose spade connector on the starter motor. Crimped up and now starting. Thank you all for your help and advice.

" trigger wire " it was [again] then !, Good for you my friend. Zero / zilch attempt on Bendix / not even a clicking noise go for trigger wire 1st on your list of solutions / tests.

It's literally a 'kill switch' crachat. From the first moment when you insert the IGN key your protection system expects a 'handshake' - no handshake - no start - you are immobilised. I'm pleased you found it quickly.

We can all get caught out from time to time. Stay safe friend, best of luck.

1+6

Trigger terminal. We bu**er. Had this loose push on terminal on my girlie. Went on for months. Knew what it was, but but going under bonnet those many times to wiggle it seemed like a new dance. Then it wouldn't start at all, even wi a wiggle. Starter motor was goosed this time. So motor replaced but trigger connection secured with sma machine screw, great, two jobs sorted in one.