Thermo Mod

tomtom9119

Question

10 answers to this question

Hi there,

It's probably my video you've found:

https://youtu.be/MpfQLsWLiic

It's based on a mod not by myself but others on the .com forum, many people have done it in the past and on this forum so if you search you'll find many people that have done it. Worked great and haven't seen any negative issues raised by anyone so far on it.

Hope it does the trick, getting to the original thermostat has been done (several people) but I've never managed it myself, access was just too difficult as tried several times from top and bottom and couldn't get to the bolts to sufficiently undo.

My apologies for asking @@andyb2000 but did you try the job with the wiper scuttle removed? It looks like it's a sod of a job regardless.

I ask because the first time I changed the spark plugs on one I struggled like a git, for the rear 3, and even my friendly mechanic didn't know of it when he did the power steering pump.

We both do now, and both of those jobs are a LOT easier  :D even I did the steering pump last June (ish) myself without major injuries or hassle!

Hi mate @@bignev not a problem, we're all learning as we go so no worries!

Yes, the wiper scuttle and full assembly comes out and I'd done that so many times for various fixes, changing the coil springs, dampners, etc, to get access to the top bolt.

So yes, when we attempted the thermostat (twice!) we had that out, I was lying on top of the engine reaching down, from memory (I didn't take pics unfortunately) that I could just reach the thermostat (I thought it was 3/4 way down the engine, but see pics below) but it's that close to the bulkhead into the cabin that getting a regular spanner/socket on there was next to impossible so couldn't get the purchase on the bolts to free them.

Since it's been a while (And I sadly don't have my GV any more) I've looked up a couple of pics, so the thermostat looks like:

EJTwM4B.jpg

So the 3 or 4 bolts sit beneath the main pipework. And the engine:

OF3HDaG.jpg

So you see it top right, not as low as I thought, but getting access to it is the problem as the exhaust manifold is directly below it blocking access from underneath, and from the top your spanner can't get in!

Well at least mine didn't! But I know it's possible as there are others that have confirmed they've managed.

Ah well, not an issue for me anymore as unfortunately mine is long gone (And I'm stuck with a Zafira now)

Cheers,

Andy

@andyb2000  : Re the video you made on the thermostat mod;

I noticed you had the temperature displayed in the speedo - how do you do this - cant find anything in the owners manual .....would be great to see the actual temperature and therefore be able to associate real vs the gauge guesstimate.

(tried to paste the image file - but failed - sorry !

Have been through the workshop manual and there is no indication I can find of the gauges indicated value other than Cold (pointy down, normal somewhere near 9 o'clock to o sh*t (pointy up.

I will be carrying out this mod next week with a 89oC thermostat (hopefully the weather will be kind, otherwise it may be next month or ... maybe June). My temperature gauge doesn't show anything adverse. Have just 'bunged up' the grill with pipe insulation as per the other winterising mod (not quite as pretty as the image on the forum but seems quite effective, as before 'stuffing the grille' the temp. gauge dropped down whilst driving.