2.2 Cruiser Gearbox Problems

PurplePT

Question

Hi

I've had my Cruiser nearly two years and love it despite having to replace what seems like most of the suspension, the multi function light switch and the battery that was killed by the fog lights coming on by themselves.

The current problem seems more serious. The drive wheels locked up with the car in reverse gear and the clutch in. The car wouldn't come out of gear at first but wrestled it into neutral. From there it wouldn't select any gear initially but eventually got it going to drive it home.

Next day there was gear oil on the passenger side suspension arm. The garage took it in and removed the gearbox end plate where it was leaking. A bolt has spun out of one of the shafts. They tightened it up but said there's no lock tab or pin to it (tightens into the bore of the shaft so nowhere for one to go).

They said it would probably work loose again - maybe a day maybe a year so not to trust it and the best solution is a good second hand box. I'm wary - if this is a common fault I may end up with a big bill and another duff box. One morning I took the car out of the garage and found 1st and 2nd had become reverse gears! It hasn't happened since but obviously I can no longer use the car.

Any advice, please? I've spent a fair bit of time and money on the car so don't want to scrap it if I can avoid it.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet