Newbie Here

ForzaLancia

Question

Hi, not a Delta owner yet but working on it. Better introduce myself first, I have been a Lancia owner four times (Delta, Dedra, Thema x2)  before being forced to mover to Alfa, and much as I love my Alfa GT it is time to say good bye, but in no great rush it all still works fine. So the hunt begins, missed out on two at auction, one went for £1800 in BCA Walsall six months ago and blue double sunroof 1.6SR at Birmingham for £2400, so I have an idea of what the trade think of them and have no plans to buy from a dealer at £5k, especially as the Alfa will be worth little. Not adverse to DIY as the Alfas have, prepared me well. Just a little unsure of the driving experience after being used to the Alfas being engaging, but then again I should be slowing down a bit and wafting rather than hurtling. So like all of us, a Momo S or a 2.0 LTD for around a grand in grey should do me nicely, lol

24 answers to this question

Welcome fella!

Most of us have/had Alfas here, so not too far away from the fold in our little Italian section of the Chrysler forum.

When you say you missed out on two at auction, do you mean you were outbid or didn't bid? Just curious as the SR with twin sunroofs is quite rare, and unless it had mega miles, at £2400 is a bargain, even with fees on top. Don't dismiss the 1.6 as it's still a great engine, and tuned produces similar output to the 2l, but with cheaper insurance and road tax.

I did bid on both, but price went a bit higher than planned once buying fees were added. The Walsall car had a couple of declared faults so did not want to go too high. The blue twin sunroof was in very good nick and was bound to go for more than I was prepared to pay. On a forecourt in Tamworth for £5k within a week, had to be reduced before it sold though.

I am conscious they are a specislist choice when new and the lack of a dealer network will put many buyers off, add into the mix the diesels will not qualify for the emissions exemptions in major cities, and the cars are 8 or 9 years old based on a design another three years older, and so they will not appeal to many and that is reflected in the trade price. £3.5K is Giullietta money. So I guess I am an enthusiastic circling vulture.... Edited by ForzaLancia

3.5k is a poo giulietta, you'd not get a decent one for that. I have trade accounts and would struggle to find anything like decent at that kind of money. Good luck, but I think if you're chasing sub 3k, you'll be waiting a while unless you don't mind high mileage or something that needs work. Edited by MikeyRules

I'm not adverse to spannering, look forward to getting my hands dirty. The one on Gumtree for £1599 would be ideal but it's a base model, we're it an SR it would be on my drive now. Are all the semi autos SE trims? I have only seen them in SE spec rather than SR. SE spec means I lose the goodies I am used to on my GT, reverse sensors, climate, leather etc

Not sure to be honest... Never really looked at Autos, I usually filter them out in searches lol ?.

Rear parks weren't standard on the SR, so think the customer would have had to tick the option box for those. Tbh UK spec's were rubbish compared to Europe. I'd have loved the 1750tbi engine in a Limited with black wheels and twin roofs.

Be good to see another Deltisti ForzaLancia especially here in the Midlands. I'll keep my eye out. As far as driver experience goes they are not as engaging to drive as the Alfa but certainly rarer. You will not believe how many people ask about mine once it was correctly badged. FYI my mate Paul Gilbert @ http://www.motor-mech.co.uk/index.asp - looks after mine and all our 'stable' so if you ever need anything - he's right next to the Bullring. 

Edited by Nello

this one has a catch, the engine light is on, but no smoke reported so hopefully not to bad but could be a million things, will be standing very close to it on start up!

Ask the driver how the auto box feels when pulling away. If you can also get him to try reverse too. If you stand by the car while it's in line and before it goes through the block you'll get time.

I try and go the day before auction and blag the keys from the key office. then although you'll be hemmed in by other cars at least you can crawl all over it, dip the oil/check fluids etc, look at the service book, and generally get a good feel for the car.  

went to the auction, and come back without a Delta. Pretty tidy car but it was a SE (which I know) but looked more basic than I expected, It went for £1700 in 5 seconds to the only bidder who was on line, no one in the hall was interested. Probably should have gone for it, but having a tyre blow out on a pothole and £200 for a new tyre etc and Xmas meant I had to stick to my budget.

Edited by ForzaLancia

Hello and welcome ForzaLancia.

I'm new to the fold too having picked up a 1.6 SR manual about 3 weeks ago. My first foray in to Italian cars and so far I'm enjoying it. I was looking for quite a while and missed out on at least 3 with traders up here in Central Scotland. They seem to have a bit of a "following" and one trader in Glasgow must absolutely love them. In the time I've been looking he had 4, sold them all quickly for decent money too.

I eventually tracked mine down on a private sale via eBay. 49k, decent service history; a pre-reg then one owner. Sadly the owner had passed away and his son was selling the car. Due to the bereavement, it had missed a service and timing belt change, they wanted £3750 and I ended up getting it for £3300. I thought that was pretty good; up here traders would have wanted at least a grand more for a similar car.

Good luck in your search

Edited by TJB

a 2.0 LTD at BCA Measham tomorrow, in that champagne bronze pearl colour, not my fave but worth a punt if not to expensive, looks very clean

Yeah saw that...

Needs a couple of tyres and the TPS light is on because of the nearside rear tyres cracked. Needs a new complete off side mirror as it's being held together with duck tape, all 4 wheels refurbing and about 12 dings, dents and scratches (some through the paint) to make perfect, oh and the front discs/pads replacing! 

£2700 it went for, add on the tyres were either old or chinese cheapies and the front headlight was proud of the bumper by 10mm. A bit of interest as started at £2300. Still not sure of that colour though, looked good sometimes and like cream of mushroom soup at others. And no (recorded) service since 2015! Other than that looked smart, but the hunt continues.....