3.0 V6 Crd Executive 4D Auto Vs. Skoda Superb 170 Elegance

f0xr0x

Question

Hi. Newbie here. :) I'm thinking of buying the Chrysler as a replacement for my current car, which is a 2012 Skoda Superb 170 elegance, with a 2.0L 170 bhp diesel manual. According to the car, I'm averaging about 47mpg and I cover roughly 20,000 miles per year.  Would anyone be able to give me rough idea of the comparative overall running costs, assuming nothing goes wrong with either car? I'd love to buy the 300C, but I would struggle to convince Mrs f0xr0x if it would be significantly more expensive to run than the Skoda. 

2 answers to this question

Bit of an odd comparison as the cars are not within the same sector, your going from a 2ltr up to a 3ltr so the mpg will definitely be lower around the 30mpg, but from a big car the mpg is good, the diesel engine is sourced from mercedes so like the Skoda there is no major headaches. Also remember their are no Chrysler dealerships in the UK no more so you have to use the fiat group which also services jeep and dodge. Service parts are relatively cheap for a big car but would be more expensive than the skoda. Quality, skoda would win hands down, as the 300c has cheap plastic interiors and leather seats that tare if you fart hard enough. Suspension is another area that likes to eat your money as the 2ton motor can get through the bushes quite rapidly. So to me upgrading to another skoda would make sense for you.

But let's be truthful here, your on this forum because you want to convince yourself to buy one,

To be frank I brought my 300c for the sheer presence on the road, and the look of the car, as it does stand out from the hum-drum cars out there and with a few extra add-ons can look a beast on the road.

I love my 300c, so you only live once so go and buy one..

I have a few mods that make fuel economy better: muffler delete and cotton air filter, and I'm getting 31mpg average, 37mpg+ on motorway at 75mph.

It's the easier car I've ever seen to change oil and filter on.

Bushings wear out quickly: know problem, but replaceable.

Gearbox is a bit dated having only 5 gears, but is one of the most reliable out there.

I added sound deadening to the floor of the passenger and driver side and it now drives like a 7 series on the motorway (sides and roof insulation was already good).

Rear seat comfort and space really sets it apart. I heard the Superb is great for this too. The boot is 620 liters, bigger than many SUVs.

The shock absorbers are too stiff. But otherwise reliability and bang for your buck is incredible. 

I still love the way it looks more than anything else and I get complimented on it after washes TO THIS DAY, 10 years after I bought it.

You do lots of miles: EGR delete (essential in any diesel) and chip tune for economy, and drills a few holes in the lower center of the rear bumper will allow you to motorway 40+mpg at 70+mph. Otherwise you need to be doing 60mph on a normal 300CRD to get those numbers.