Not A Performance Car?

JH88

Question

I was on my way back home yesterday and was blessed with a long stretch of open road. I was first at the lights and had some Linkin Park pumping through the speakers. Naturally my hand slid straight to the Sport button, brought the revs to 2500 (just below where the turbo kicks in) and held the brake until the lights changed. (Yes, car is an auto).

Can I just tell you all that the 1.8L DiTurbo can seriously accelerate!

I checked through Google Maps at the rough distance I traveled over those very short seconds. Turns out that I covered just shy of 1.2Km and reached a speed of 180km/h (slightly less than 112mph for those not using the metric system.) I know, it's no drag race record, but for a 5 seater family car, that's decent speed.

It was an amazing rush. I knew the car was capable of this, but it was the first time I'd had the chance to push to that speed. Had I not needed to turn off I might have been able to nudge to 200km/h mark.

And so I ask the question.. Is the 1.8L DiTurbo Delta really not classified as a performance car or atleast a GTi/S3 killing 'hot hatch'?

18 answers to this question

Unfortunately for the Series 3 Delta it will forever be compared to the original Delta even though its by name alone so no-one considers the car as a Performance hatch at all.

The 1.4 MA is pretty decent on the Motorway as well for the capacity it has............

I've never driven nor been up close to the original Delta, so can't say anything about it. I look at what the series 3 Delta was competing with at the time - BMW 1 series, Audi A3/S3 etc.

But it can really hold itself, IMO, against the GTi and the Scirocca. I'd love to have a chance to pitch it against an MX-5 for straight line speed.

Edited by JH88

Nice one Andrew - a friend of mine bought a nearly new Integrale Evo2 in Giallo many years ago which I drove - and loved! Just wish I had bought it off him!

The Evo were the complete fast Delta, great roadholding, decent brakes and lighting and the sound, even from the standard single exit exhaust, was intoxicating!

That said, the 8v kat that I own is for me, the ultimate of the integrale, benefitting from the 16v suspension setup and the cleaner response of the 8v engine and far superior mpg from the lesser highly tuning

Andrew, what's the driving experience like in those early models? Is the difference between that and the modern Delta as disconnected as, for example, an original mini cooper compared to the modern BMW Mini?

In short, yes!

To be fair, you're comparing a goat to a cheetah and I mean no disrespect by the comparison

With the integrale, you're so involved as a driver, especially through the wet twisty greasy roads of Ireland, the information that the car gives back to you is staggering, if you drive over a crisp packet, it tells you that it was cheese and onion rather than salt and vinegar :-D

In short, yes!

To be fair, you're comparing a goat to a cheetah and I mean no disrespect by the comparison

With the integrale, you're so involved as a driver, especially through the wet twisty greasy roads of Ireland, the information that the car gives back to you is staggering, if you drive over a crisp packet, it tells you that it was cheese and onion rather than salt and vinegar :-D

Ha-ha love this quote!! :lol:  :lol: :lol: 

If we had a hall of (fame) quotes, this would definitely be up there!! :D 

I have 1 of the old Deltas

And I can confirm that the modern Delta, while not as ultimately fast or as surefooted at speed, is as good a real world car as the original Delta (probably better, to be honest!)http://cdn.chryslerforum.co.uk/public/style_images/defraction/attachicon.gifPhoto0041.jpg

You lucky lucky lucky barsteward!!! :P

Abarth competizione is the answer of you are after modern day fun, I don't miss my (Chrysler) Delta at all TBH the Abarth is an addiction

You're just having a mid-life crisis Rosso! :lol:

It's like lust and not love... Your hard-on eventually softens and you realise you need some longer term stimulation! :lol:  :lol: :lol:  

Is this stupid expensive and not worth it, or are all Abarth's like this?

Just looked at my local online classifieds and found the 2 cheapest Abarth 500's.

2011: Currently on 5th owner, 120,000 kms, automatic, cabriolet, asking 11,500 quid

2012: Currently on 6th owner, 105,000 kms, automatic, cabriolet, asking 11,500 quid

would love to experience one, i just get the impression that it's too tall and top heavy. 

Just looked at my local online classifieds and found the 2 cheapest Abarth 500's.

2011: Currently on 5th owner, 120,000 kms, automatic, cabriolet, asking 11,500 quid

2012: Currently on 6th owner, 105,000 kms, automatic, cabriolet, asking 11,500 quid

would love to experience one, i just get the impression that it's too tall and top heavy. 

That is expensive compared to the UK market. An Abarth 500c here tend to start around the £7k mark for something like a late 2012 car with mileage in the 40k (miles) range. That is retail though, so about £1500 less to the trade.

Not all that top heavy really, auto isn't a good idea probably also better to go without convertible or sunroof. Series 4 cars are nicest (from about June 2016). Not really all that fast but great fun.