Just Thinking Gearbox

lee123

Question

I have a 2005 voyager 2.8 crd with an auto EATX gearbox.

if I disconnect the plug on the gearbox solenoid, I know it would go in limp mode, but what gears would I have? (at the moment I only have 2nd gear park and neutral) this is before I disconnect the plug.

would I just have 2nd gear?

or  neutral, reverse,  1, 2, 3, 4, overdrive!!!! as well.

thanks any help please

lee

21 answers to this question

Thanks for your replies,

with mine I don't have a reverse wont rev over 2500 rpm, no engine light,

done all the continuity tests, also live is getting to the solenoid pack

cant move it (push it) in neutral when engine is running, but move free when I stop engine and push it in neutral.

any advice.. new to Chrysler.

Oh dear that doesn't sound good at all.

Try the "key dance, switch to ON but not start, back to off - 3rd time in the ON position stop, and observe to odometer, have a pen & paper, and maybe it might give us a clue. Should list any codes, usually in order I think, and end with "done".

But it sounds mechanical in the gearbox to me - if you can't push it in neutral when it's running, that's definitely not my usual experience! And no reverse. As well as limited revs! Certainly hope something pops up on the display. Or it could be one or more of the solenoids, and the PCM is doing something as it recognises an error - but why there's no warning light is rather odd, hey @@QinteQ & @@andyb2000!?

Edited by bignev

Hi and thanks.

I did the key dance and only got code p1685 out and that was reset by locking and unlocking the mpv.

took the trans solenoid out so solenoid pack would go into limp mode and wouldn't be unable to turn on, and my thinking it should then go in reverse but no luck.(still no codes with solenoid out)

next- I think I will do is to take the solenoid pack of and test it on my bench, guessing it may be a solenoid stuck on, may be!!!!!!!

also I have noticed the trans atf+4 fluid is only just on the min mark when engine is hot and running.

and battery is sitting at 11.75v, running its 13.57v but always start up.

any more advice or anything to look at.

Edited by lee123

hum if that's so, it sound like it must be in the box then. o nnoo!!

well I could take the pan of, may be a stuck valve in the valve body, do you think I could take the valve body apart when still in the mpv,

I did notice some bolts under the solenoid pack, what do they do, are they for testing?

11.75v is about 30% charged

11.58v is about 20% charged

- its not linear for example

12.6v is 100%

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/voltchart1.gif

​It's diagnostics, fix your battery, then reset your computers. That level of pink would frighten me to death. Check the LP side, the button on the hand pump should be rock hard within one push if it isn't fix your LP leakback.

"fix your battery" I get, I need a new battery.

"That level of pink would frighten me to death" I think you mean put more atf+4 in.

but you lost me with "Check the LP side, the button on the hand pump should be rock hard within one push if it isn't fix your LP leakback" can you explain more please.

Just fully charge it M8, most pro places you GOTO don't have a clue or equipment to check actual CCA free or paid for.Check the date on you battery if it's older than 3 years always suspect it.If you need to go there I always suggest 80/800 (ish) make sure YOU pick the terminals the right way round.

LP=low pressure system. Most often it's just a vibrated slack screw-on fuel filter or its little white water trap on the bottom the Q&D test is to push the hand primer first AM to see if you have air in or vacuum leak out.

Do easy-DIY-cheap first then go on to complex-hard-pay others.

hi and thanks,

I will have to change the battery as it wont charge up any more than 11.90v

if I put a new battery on, how will that allow it to go in reverse? (is it not only manually for reverse) or do the solenoid pack play some part?

voyager startup and run fine with old battery on, so I don't think its any thing to do with LP or vacuum leak more gearbox

Edited by lee123

Hi think I need back up from @@QinteQ but I thought 2nd and reverse were selected essentially manually with the lever, so much so that I am fairy sure my 02 3.3 would select them with the TCM disconnected

The 4 gens were manual automatic 31TH or 41TE weren't they nev. I referenced my post to the 41TE, but yes it is YOUR MANUAL lever selection.

The :

- one forward

- one backward and

- safety parking pin

as I understand it is what the LOGIC allows as a 'get you to safety' default.

Aha, cheers QinteQ, 

The bad news for you Lee then is it would appear to point even more to a duff gearbox, if reverse can't be selected.

So then drop the bottom of the transmission pan off and see what crud and shrapnel and swarf may be in there. There is a little round magnet that attracts some of the cack. Mine had a little mound of stuff when I did it the first time last year.

I might hold off ordering new Mopar "ATF+4" fluid - very specific and important - and a filter till you see how bad it is. 

Edited by bignev

hi yes thanks,

I will pull the pan off and have a look,

I have had a read up and watched vids on the 41TE gearbox if its a stuck valve in the valve body I could change the valve body.

but as you say I should be looking for a gearbox,

do you know what years/cars have the same box in?

lee

Edited by lee123

I think it was our fellow @@andyb2000 recently discovered that the diesel and petrol actually have the same box, but with a difference on the ring that is between it and the engine. Don't know its proper name sorry.

He did a major repair on his, and knowing him a little I reckon he did a video cos he's a cracker of a bloke who likes to help people.

Years 2001 to 2007 I think. 3.3 petrol and 2.8 diesel, but check it's a 4 speed 41TE.

HOWEVER - with an assistant do check the shaft on the gearbox at the end of the gear cable moves when it's moved in the car!!! Just popped in my head!

Edited by bignev

Do you mean the DUST PLATE-SANDWICH PLATE.

I took pan off for a look. and all seam good to me. oil good to,

so it look like i'm in the market for a gearbox, if anyone have one PM me please.

lee

Edited by lee123

Sorry just saw this one!

Yes Flexplate is the diesel specific plate that is also known as the flywheel on petrols. They crack around the crank bolts and cause vibration/rattle. When I did that work, accidentally left off the cable you mentioned and yes the gearbox was in limp mode so I only had physical shifts, so reverse, neutral, 1 and 2 (low I think from memory), so it will move but just watch you don't over-rev it. As QinteQ says the physical shifts should always work regardless, so the fact you can't get into reverse sounds bad news to me. Are the shift indicators showing correct or all boxes lit up?

By the sounds of it, not revving over 2.5k RPM, that's the idle restriction kicking in, I'm assuming you mean when driving not just sat in park/neutral on the drive? (All the autos restrict idle revs to that). Makes me wonder if the speed sensing is not working correctly either, there are two speed sensors one input and one output for the autoboxes so that might be another issue. However, again the physical shifts should work no matter what, so if those aren't working it sounds a mechanical failure on the box than anything.

One more to add to that, in neutral you should be able to push it! Put the shifter into N, take the battery off, take handbrake off (hopefully it's not binding) and try to move it.

Does it roll?

Or does it rock back and forth but not actually move? If it rocks then that sounds like the locking/park pin is stuck somehow, which might be the problem with that being physical.

Good luck, not healthy thats for sure!

hi and thanks

in reverse it feel like it trying to go forward and back at the same time.

with engine running in neutral it will just rock.

with engine not running in neutral I can push it back and forward ok.

gear shifter move in all gears including reverse and the shift indicators showing correct for all gears.

and when I rev it up in neutral or reverse it only rev to 2500 and feel like its trying to move forward.

I have not driven it to go over 2500 in drive.

lee