Engine/big-End Failure?

andyb2000

Question

Background: 2005 Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8CRD 138,000miles, regular servicing by myself, last oil and filter change approx 2 months ago, nothing unusual. Running well, occasional rough start, occasional tough warm restarts. 

Unfortunately my trouble-free running has come to an abrupt ending. After doing some heavy miles over the past few weeks (1,000 in a week, 400 in a day, motorway constant running) we went for a 40 minute journey today. Going up several hills working the car hard accelerating up the hill, all still fine. On the last hill, halfway up the temperature started to go up, my temperature gauge is always rock solid on half, even sat in long traffic, etc, it rarely goes a notch above. Today it went a notch or two above, still below what I'd say was 10-to (the hr), I put this down to the long uphill. As we approached the top of the hill I got an oil pressure light flicker several times. I eased right off and was then coasting slightly downhill, temperature went down and the oil light went back out.

I pulled over (oil pressure flickered again) and shutdown. Checked oil dipstick and oil levels were normal, midway all the way, nothing else unusual, no oil marking, no oil drops, etc. Oil filler cap was clean, no creaming or other issues. Gently opening water, same there, usual level in expansion bottle (halfway), no oil film or anything else. Nothing else unusual at all.

I started back up, it laboured a little to start and was chugging somewhat, bit of a knock, revs seeked a little at idle then settled, oil pressure light went off.

I drove a bit further, after about 10 minutes, again after a slight incline oil pressure light flickered on, stayed on then went out again, again temperature rose slightly, and started to get a hammer-like noise, directly linked to revs. So I pulled back over and total stop. Again no other signs.

Towed it to my parents which is where it's sat now.

We've taken the aux and steering pump belts off to eliminate them (Noisy bearings on alternator at the minute).

We've just done another injector leak-off test, very little fuel leaked out the injectors so again these seem all OK.

No lack of oil, water, mixing or change to fluids at all.

Engine can be cranked manually via the pulley and it turns as normal (feeling the pressurisation, release, etc).

Starting it up and idling, it starts and runs, again hammer-like noise but not very prominent at idle, increase revs even slightly and you get a prominent hammer/tappety-like noise. No oil warning lights.

No engine management/lights (Haven't plugged in analyser yet, nor done key dance yet)

Have listened as much as possible to all parts of the engine, top rockers, injectors, bottom end, bell housing, etc, and cannot positively identify location of noise.

So now at a loss what to do next, whether worth proceeding as the potential issue from our thinking is loss of oil pressure due to bearings worn, big end, so a serious amount of garage time/effort to diagnose and potentially replace.

Opinions and thoughts welcomed as always please folks!

Andy

14 answers to this question

Hello Andy bad news been looking into oil pressure  you say you were going up and down hills, I found there is an o ring on the pickup pipe the o ring loses its seal   and lets in air am thinking this might of been your problem it may be worth taking the sump off to have a look at this o ring. If it is bad Take a look at the bearings may be able to put in new ones if not to bad hope it helps. Jeff

Edited by BumBle02

Hello Andy bad news been looking into oil pressure  you say you were going up and down hills, I found there is an o ring on the pickup pipe the o ring loses its seal   and lets in air am thinking this might of been your problem it may be worth taking the sump off to have a look at this o ring. If it is bad Take a look at the bearings may be able to put in new ones if not to bad hope it helps. Jeff

That was my thought too- bad sump pump.

Check the Oil pressure with a tester b4. I can check on mine just to compare if you like.

Just let me know where is the low oil pressure sensor.

Karmannski

Thanks folks, yes couple of suspects at the moment. I've not had a chance to get oil pressure tested or get much further.

Car is at my dads whos managed to do a little so far, so dropped oil and pan, no bits in the sump so that's a good start. Planning on dropping the balance shaft assembly out and taking a look at the crankshaft and look for play in that.

Also, on the balance shaft assembly there are supposed to be 3 o-rings, that seal the oil channels, the suspicion is these weren't replaced/in place on mine which is something to look for as that would cause low oil pressure.

That's also along the lines that you suggest @@BumBle02 with the oil pickup pipe, as that was off last year too, so that's another one.

Thanks both of you, will give you updates when I get a chance to have a look and figure things further, will also try and get a recording of the sound to help identify too.

Cheers

Hi all,

Well, not wanting to leave an open end, the conclusion is that it's getting carried away to the scrappy sometime later this week (Giving me £80 for it, including pickup). Unfortunately when we dropped the sump, balance shaft assembly and oil pickup (Oil pickup O-rings were spot on) we felt rattle on cylinder 2 big end. Took it apart and WOW we found an amazing failure. Dropped the lower piece off, and NOTHING, no bearing at all, it had become sandwiched against the crank. So prising that off and it was in a bad state. What was worse was the upper bearing that had semi-welded itself to the crank. As you can imagine the crankshaft itself didn't look healthy, so being realistic it would be crank out, sand/grind it smooth then replace bearings with additional mm thickness. Way too much for me and my dad to attempt and too costly for a garage really.

And so, that means it's the end of my CGV, I've taken a few parts off it so firstly - ANYONE WANT PARTS? Let me know ASAP and we'll come to some agreement.

I'll still lurk the forums as love the cars and everyone here, so you've not got rid of me, but I doubt I'll be getting another CGV now as just don't need the room, or headaches on the older higher mileage.

Mine did 138,465 on the clock and interior and external were still amazingly good for a 2004/2005 model.

cheers @@QinteQ I appreciate it, and also appreciate the expertise and knowledge you've given me over the years.

@@BumBle02 I've got the oil pickup and o-rings sat in my garage, I'll check the O-Rings for you and drop you a message. If you want it, you can have it!

@@karmannski We didn't get as far as oil pressure, suspect oil pump was OK in the end and it was the big end letting go that caused the drop in pressure.

Images (hi-res) of the big end failure and crank are below for those curious:

https://imgur.com/a/28YRQLY

post-612-0-28574000-1537777353_thumb.jpg

Edited by andyb2000

Hi Andy so sorry it's not good on a 138,000 i'm wondering if the engine is a secondhand one fitted previously with a higher mileage on mine the oil light is on off new switch sill the same got to do oil pressure test i've got 136,500 on mine yes could you let me know the o ring sizes for oil pipe and the three for the carrier please. Will you buy a replacement cgy again hope you do I put that ZX1 lub in mine just in case. Jeff

Edited by BumBle02

Oh bummer pal that's not fair at all. After the time and effort you've given it too. Really sorry to hear it.

And holy pooe yep those bearings are a little bit more than normal wear.

I must have done really well with mine, the 2002 3.3 I had, I put it on Gumtree and a dismantler, not scrapper, contacted me and gave me £250. Are there any remotely near you?

Hi guys, cheers for that, yeah unfortunately it's going. I've had 2 other people contact me directly, they've had failures very similar, so I'm starting to think the VM Motori 2.8CRD's might have a bit of a flaw in them. That'd explain why others have had a lot more out of theirs with the Petrol or different engines.

No more GV's for me for a while, going to a Zafira (I know!) as need low mileage and something cheap to run/fix, not nearly as interesting as my old GV though.

Sorry @@BumBle02 I've not been back to my parents yet where the GV is sat looking miserable on the drive, when I do I'll get you the o-ring sizes for pickup, there were definitely two O-rings on it though, one just visible when installed, the other inside the fitting.