Rear Shocks - 2005 Cgv

andyb2000

Question

Hi folks,

After another 1,000mile round trip to Kent and back over the past week I've developed a knocking from the back, taking a look one of the two shock bushes are giving way, and looking at the shock it's not far behind it so I'm replacing both before they totally fail on me.

I've been trying to find the right part, so far i've had two parts from eurocarparts and neither are right. The first "compatible" match didn't have eye and eye at either end so useless, no idea why they thought compatible!

The next one they sent was the KYB which looked right, slightly smaller diameter and less shaft length than original, but I'm thinking it's close enough.

So two things, one if I fit the slightly shorter shaft length am I likely to become unstuck? (Less clearance? Or likely to pull the shock to pieces?)

I therefore suspect my model has the self-levelling shocks, the existing ones are Sachs 34534B 04743234AA and from a brief search looks like they're self-levelling.

Trying to find replacements are difficult it seems as nowhere coming back with matches/alternatives/etc. So I guess I'm left with two options:

Stick with the KYB replacements with shorter shaft length and non-self levelling (See how long they last?)

Replace just the bushes and hope the shocks last a bit longer (REALLY not interested in this option tbh)

Find somewhere that stocks the self-levelling/equivalent?

Any suggests folks pls?

Cheers,

Andy

9 answers to this question

Hi Andy go to jeep-chryslerparts.co.uk phone 02082005500  give him your vin number and he will find the right ones for you they are good for our parts left a passage on your  youtube radiator  fitting for you by the way I think they are called Nivomat Shockers Jeff 

Edited by BumBle02

Hey up guys yes you're both correct, Sachs self levelling - Nivomat - and replacements are available but bloody expensive.

Those are a load bigger diameter body than usual hey Andy!!

I got a set of 4 bushes from Jeep Chrysler parts last year for £40, plus I invested in new tool for the garage - a 12 ton press for £90 off ebay hee hee - the Mrs took the piss something rotten - again. Probably a 6 ton would have been fine, but hardly any price difference so lets go large!!!

Or there are some KYB options on Rockauto at £163 each, 2 mopar ones left at £154 each. Plus carriage and import duty of course.

Better than last year when I could only find them about £200 each - making the press plus bushes a bargain investment.

It's not that bad a job with a press - press out the centre piece, use a junior hacksaw so I could get the blade in the middle, cut the rubber out, cut 2 slots in the outer metal of (whats left in my case) the bush, belt that bit out, clean it up and press the new ones in. Doddle.....

So then as you say the shocks look like they are not long for this world, if the KYB you have are the same overall length, and only a tiny bit shorter on the shaft for suspension travel, so hopefully shouldn't bottom out before the bump stop, and they were cheap enough, it would in my world be worth a "suck it and see" experiment.

And you could then have a look at those originals at your leisure!!

Edited by bignev

Thanks both of you. jeepchyrslerparts confirmed what I thought, it's the replacement self-levelling (They can't supply) I've been quoted over 700 for them, apparently they are patented so Mopar distro only available. Urgh!

I've also wondered about a press for the garage, and it's mainly been the wife holding me back since my garage subtly keeps getting more and more repair gear in it over time ;-) I might sneak one in eventually if I spot a bargain, but for now other costs are piling up and it's headed towards Xmas at a rather alarming rate.

I'm gonna go for the pair of KYB as they're pretty close, managed to get the pair for £100 so going to stick them on and see how it behaves, at least it's not the earth if they fall apart prematurely, but will keep an eye on them and will report back after fitting and initial tests to see how it goes as an alternative.

(BTW as an aside, read up on self levelling shock absorbers, rather clever little devices when you stop and think how they work)

Quick update. Job done, both rear shocks replaced. They are a little smaller in length than originals, so time will tell if they survive, nothing giving me worries so far though.

The car does appear to be sitting a little lower at the rear now, not much, you'd probably not notice it but I can (from rear view mirror, my view is off slightly!).

This is the rear unloaded, looks to sit a little lower on the arch I think.

https://imgur.com/XOcJFSY

I did a video on changing the shocks, along with all the part numbers involved for reference (in video description). I'm planning on following it up in around 6 months, see if anything has changed/starting to give me concern, but I doubt it.

Edited by andyb2000

Is there any chance the Uk/Europe versions of the Dodge Caravan/Town N Country [same years] will interchange certain parts..Full suspension packages are extremely inexpensive..even for the specialized gear. [i spoke with a local mech who tells me there's a myriad of aftermarket choices at a fraction of OEM...Course he has no clue on EU models]