Mk4 Vs Mk5 - I'm Upgrading To Mk5

karmannski

Question

Dear all

I decided to upgrade my minivan to the latest model MK5 with Swivel n Go Seats etc still 2.8 CRD as much as I would love to own 3.8 V6 the Road TAX on them is crazy.  

With the MK4 Diesel I experienced few issues mainly cold start problems, or engine cut out when I was accelerating fast - but I managed to fix them all and car is awesome, but I booth (non runner - engine starting problems) the latest model and its coming today, and just wanted to ask those who owned MK4 before MK5 are there are similar problems that I can came across or is there is less of them and other issues are now involved? 

The new car shape is more square from the older model, does that affects MPG?

Is Gearbox better from MK4? 

We use our minivan regular for Europe trips .

All opinions are welcome.

5 answers to this question

Is all over better then mk4. Safety, mpg if you come from the 4 auto box. Make sure the gearbox is ok tho... my one had put in after i got it a full recon box put in, in some instances i was getting 40mpg at 60mph... recently i needed to go to europe and leaving london got to dover after in france and just before achen and after bruxelles at 80mph constant i realized something is wrong as revs tended to get higher and higher to the same speed...ended up turning back as as soon as the gearbox oil overheats will cut you back on speed. So moral to this is check it on long runs that is ok before you adventure like i did.

I did not own a mk4 but i had one 57 2.8crd on my hands for a while... mk5 is far better all around. Engine wise looks bulletproof in my eyes if serviced corect. Electrics are not bad also but has some common issues do to were and tear, slide doors wiring, central locking motors, driver side engine mount ground strap and thats it really, otherwise is fine

I have never had a mark 4.

I've had my mk 5  for four years now and I have put nearly 60k miles on  it. The previous owner didn't take care of it and left me with a few bits and pieces to sort out. Saying that, the car has never let me down. My gearbox has been fine but I will be changing the fluid soon as it's now approaching 100K miles. I do my own servicing regularly using good quality parts and fluids.

My issues so far:

Rear seats would not stow - fixed.

Radio occasionally locked up - fixed

Air con leak - fixed

Front caliper binding - fixed

Rear caliper binding - fixed

Driver's seat would not adjust more than 1 inch forward or backwards - fixed.

As you can see, there has been nothing major. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Thanks Pal 

I got him - Like yours maine has got few issues but I will open new topic. 

I have noticed that MK4 has got better quality (Stronger) interior (seats, plastic, all door handles etc.) , when MK5 seams not be be heavy duty one like MK4.

good looking but week not like strong MK4 plastic.