Chrysler Voyager 2,8 Crd Rt Mk V Coolant Drain

power

Question

Hello

Did anyone ever try to drain the coolant on the European 2,8 CRD version? This is the last part of my service program but i cant seem to get the draining plug out of the radiator? Facing the wheel, on the left hand side, at the lower part of the radiator there should be a draining tap. I have found the little pipe were you are supposed to attach the hose for draining the coolant. On top of that there is a red plastic thingor nut with a tiny hole in it? I have tried every tool i own trying to get it out but nothing seem to fit? I dont want to use too much force since this is a plastic thing and i assume it will brake if i get too violent.

Does anyone know if this requires some special tools, a plastic special dealer tap or something like that? On every other car i have owned the tap is attached but on the European Chrysler....not.

Grateful for all the tips&tricks i can get since there is nothing on the web for this specific version.

8 answers to this question

Is on the right side, passenger side of the car, is like a small tap, i have a picture somewhere i will try to find and link it when i get to pc. Tips: i would use water few times till it clears, thats how i did my one after replacing cambelt and water pump. So i filled the system with plain water, drive it few miles, drain it when it cooled down and so on till was almost clear as i was unsure what coolant was in there before, i mixed 50% the concetrated mopar one and gived md almost 8l of which i used about 6 and toped up once 300ml as self bleeding occurs under driving conditions. Hope it helps.

Yes, i have found the tap but how did you get it to open? There is nothing to grab? Its just a metal hole and in that hole there is a small plastic round thing with a tiny little hole in the middle. My guess is that it requires some special tool or perhaps mine is broken somehow. But when checking it it dosent seem broken. Btw, i have the 2008 diesel model with the CRD engine. Are yours similar?

One picture is as 1000 words maybe?

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s658/SpAwNtoHell/coolant_zpsewelh4uf.jpg

i used a stubby large flat bed screwdriver, some small grips will do also, should not be that tight also just under the red is also a small pipe, where coolant will run out from i put a 30cm hose so i can direct it straight in a large bowl, you going to get about 6-7 l out of it the rest of 4-5 will remain in cooling system, that is the reason i chose to fill the system with tap water multiple times to flush it.

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s658/SpAwNtoHell/drain%20cock_zpsqfbmphab.png

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s658/SpAwNtoHell/drain_zpst0jyx2va.png

hope it helps.

Thank you for all the tips. Mine looks like the female on the first servicepicture. Like a pipe in solid steel that comes out from the radiator. But inside there is a plastic cap with just one tiny little hole in the center of it? Perhaps there is a "key" for that as well, just a different one since i dont think the "key" illustrated on the picture will fit. I will try to take a picture of it this weekend. 

Perhaps the previous owns has, dont know...or....perhaps some useless mechanic broke it without telling.

Everything looks the same except that the red plug is missing............. If that is the case then its all gone except for the tiny bit that is left.

Hmmm, sohnds like a bad idee to tamper more with the draincock... alternatively you have towards the midle of the radiator a hose joiner, link that joins the bottom radiator hose with the engine coolant, you can undo that to drain, but can be a bit messier so be prepared to have a larger surface adecvate container.

Got the radiator hose off and drained the system. Added water 3 times, ran the car for about 10 minutes every time with drain/refill. Hopefully i got it all out and added some fresh coolant mixed with destilled water.

Thanks for your help wih this.