Strange And Unrecognised Front Axle Sound And Noise

ivant6900

Question

Hi guys,

Few days ago I purchased a 2001 2.5 CRDI Chrysler Grand Voyager with 94K miles on the clock and almost perfect MOT history with only few minor advisories over the years.

It has just passed another MOT, merely days before I collected the vehicle. 

Upon collection I noticed a clunk like noise when turning the wheel from left to right and vice versa at about 45 degrees in each direction from the centre line however since the vehicle had just passed MOT, I did not pay much attention to it.

A day later I noticed a sound at lower speeds from the driver's side front wheel (with windows open) that sounded as if something was stuck to the tyre or there was a plastic stuck in the wheel (kinda like the kids bikes when they shove plastic into their wheels pretending they are on a motorbike, but a bit more mellow sounding).

Today I drove down a B-road with quite sharp turns that made the steering sound audible in every bend. I only drove about 30 - 40 miles an hour. Then after one such turn left, there was a sharper turn right so I had to brake at the same time as turning the wheel when suddenly there was a louder bang as if metal snapped against metal or something. This repeated once more time during another set of turns. After that, I only noticed a slight vibration at lower speed that was intermittent and a high pitched whistling sound kinda like when fan belt squeaks or as if something was rubbing against a tyre, though not as loud as a fan belt. That being said, it was noticeable with windows open. I inspected the car but did not notice anything hanging from the car or rubbing against the wheel. I should mention that the advisory on the last MOT was a scorned disk in the front but not bad enough that it would affect braking. 

Now, I have arranged the vehicle inspection for tomorrow with a friend's garage that is however good 45 mins drive away on a motorway (Monmouth to Cilfynydd). 

Does anyone have any idea what could it be and whether it is safe for me to drive the car there tomorrow?

I really appreciate any help you can provide

3 answers to this question