2.8Crd Missing And Smoking

mnight

Question

7 answers to this question

Hi,

This doesn't sound good, as smoke with blue in it normally indicates burning oil. The diesels do normally smoke a little, but it should be whiteish/grey smoke without the blue to it.

Have you checked oil and water, neither dropping dramatically, or getting a film on the top of the expansion bottle water. Also in the oil filler cap look for emusification (a yellow/white cream).

To me this sounds potentially like you've got a head gasket or worse is failing, as the missing could be lack of compression in one or more of the cylinders.

What other checks have you done, and when warm does the problem go away as that would suggest gasket as when warm it will expand slightly and possibly seal back up again.

Oil is fine and black not needed to top up since I had the car in march. StIll close to max line so oil is not dropping or mixing with water. It literally misses until I rev for about 30 seconds and the smoke clears away. Then it's fine.

Ah ok, I'm wondering if the blue tint is just a trick of the eye then, as it's sounding more likely that one or more of your glow plugs are dead and it's doing a rough start. Either that or it's one of the injectors starting to leak off more and needs to get going before it keeps up with the pace!

Do a leak-off test on the injectors, various videos around that show how (including one of mine on youtube) as it might point to one of the injectors.

Also check the glow plugs as those are relatively easily checked. But am glad to say it doesn't sound as worrying as at first, keep a close eye on the fluids though as these beasts sometimes trick you with the fluids!

hi again. Tries it this morning. Took a good look at the smoke and it's definitely white with the slightest tint of grey.

Also just wondered on this model where abouts is the fuel filter? There seem to be so many options