Engine Wont Turn Over When Hot

Mrpablo84

Question

Hello fellow chrysler DIYers, my 2006 voyager 2.8crd refuses to start when the engine is at normal working temperature (it cranks but will not turn over, possible fuel issue?). It starts fine every time when cold. Has anyone got any suggestions what the issue could be.

Thanks,

Paul

7 answers to this question

Hi there fellow North-Easterner,

This seems a pretty common one I've seen many first-hand doing it, and still haven't tracked it down myself!

If you waggle foot on the accelerator whilst turning over does it fire up? I've seen various reasons touted, but none solved. So far on mine I've changed (these weren't just because of this, it was also due to the cutting out in cold weather problems)

• glow plugs (Highly unlikely since cold start is good)
  • good diesel/poor supermarket diesel (Again seems to mainly be the cutouts not starting, I only use BP fuel now)
  • crank sensor - changed, no difference
  • fuel filter - changed no difference
  • fuel filter housing - Mine is the rear beside tank and hasn't been changed
  • fuel heater - Repaired/confirmed working, no change
  • MAP/TC temperature sensor - changed, no difference
  • pressure relief valve - Not changed, but tested and no leakoff
  • Injector return/leak test - About the same leak-off from each injector suggesting that none are acting wildly out)
  • High pressure pump and solenoid - checked solenoid voltage supply and it's getting PWM (pulse width modulated) supply and appears OK, but not 100%

So for now mine starts relatively easily, when warm either on first turn with a foot waggle, or after a second turn with a foot waggle and it fires.

Anyone else any suggestions as happy to dig deeper and try to find the issue here.

Thanks for replying andy. Bet youve spent a fortune!

Mine wont start even when you push the accelerator, It really seems to me like its the temp sensor or something along those lines. Its started once or twice when ive manually fuel through but now thats not working. Il keep you posted and if anyone

On our Kia Sedona we have developed a similar problem, but I can at least get it going by a quick squirt of easy start / brake cleaner into the air inlet duct at the from grille.

I did a leak off test and in less than ONE minute I got quite a lot from 3 injectors. I switched it off as one was around 120ml. Yes seriously @@andyb2000 one hundred and fifty it's not a typo!!!!!

Second hand set on the way, along with an injector extractor kit, here's hoping!!

So the suggestion from the above is try easy start or similar.

@@bignev ouch, yep get that injector out, me being the bodger I am I'd not go with the extractor kit, these ones are relatively simple in design so should work with the old unscrew head/top and rattle to extract. Hopefully that'll sort yours as that definitely will be causing a struggle!

@@Mrpablo84 Hm, so it won't start pretty much at all, so just constantly turning over, does it sound like it's trying (stutters, starts then immediately dies, that sort of thing, or totally nothing?). That could be fuel starvation, or failing compression I'd think. So for fuel starvation, if you do the leak-back test on the injectors that Bignev refers to (It's on one of my youtube videos) do you get any fuel run off? You will always get a little, and if you get a little then at least you know fuel line isn't blocked and there is fuel.

Unfortunately, fuel problem could be: fuel solenoid, HP pump, low pressure/primer pump.

Is yours the rear tank mounted electric lift pump, or does it have the pump with manual primer in the engine bay? Take a look in the engine bay and underneath and find out, if it's the one in the engine bay, see if you can prime it before starting, the bulb should be hard not soft. If it's electric, then when you first turn key you should hear the pump run for about 10 seconds then cut out, does it run?

Good luck and hopefully we can start to narrow it down.

Edited by andyb2000

I should have proof read mine a bit more, laughed at it just now, "not a typo" then the words and figures are different ?

But it was 120 ml.

Got 3 out, 2 with the slide hammer 1 easy peasy. Away for weekend so will keep you guys in the laughing loop next week.

Edited by bignev

FINALLY got the last injector to come out, oh my word it was stuck, I actually wrecked the thread on the ball joint of the slide hammer so that delayed it a couple of day but they sent me a new one no quibble.

So 2nd hand ones fitted tonight and test drive and possibly hopefully maybe (supersticious me? oh yes!) it's got it sorted, I hope the bugger still co-operates in the morning!