First Time Delta Owner

JH88

Question

Hi All,

This last Sunday I completed the purchase of a 2011 Lancia Delta 1.8L turbo (petrol).

I spent roughly a month looking for a family vehicle that was not your regular run-of-the-mill 5-door/station wagon cars.

Quick run down of the vehicle specs:

Year: 2011

Mileage: 108,800kms

Engine: 1.8L petrol Turbo

Colour: Black

Transmission: Automatic

Model: Elegante (dual panoramic sunroof with opening sunroof on drivers' side), Electronic seat adjustment + Heated seats for front seats.

Previous owner had the ECU tweaked to boost power from 200hp to 250hp. Original owner replaced all 4 brakes housings with Brembos, not sure regarding the discs though.

Car is very clean inside with minor signs of wear and tear. External Lancia badges have faded unfortunately.

All in all, I'm very proud to be the owner of such a beautiful vehicle.

Now I have a few questions for you guys:

A) What mechanical issues should I keep my eye out for? Previous owner said the turbo was replaced at 80,000 kms, timing was done at 90,000kms and last service (fluids + filters) at 105,000 kms.

B)  The shifter knob has been badly abused and needs replacing. I have attempted to search online but with no success. Local Fiat/Alfa service centre told me the part itself would cost roughly 600 Israeli Shekels (about 125 GBP). This to me seems stupidly high. Any suggestions?

C) All 4 tyres should be replaced, urgency on the rears. What brand would you guys recommend that can give a good quality performance at an acceptable price?

D) For the Modifiers: What performance modifications would you recommend that don't require oodles of hours in a shop? I was thinking about starting with dampeners and springs to get better some better handling. I'd also like to tweak the throttle response in low revs, when gradually applying throttle from a traffic light there seems to be a 1-2 second delay between pressing the accelerator and the engine waking up. A full exhaust system for a more throaty noise would be nice, not something that can financially be done right now, but a project for the future - happy to get some recommendations for kits + sellers. Is it worth investing into the air intake system at an early stage? What would you do for the most Bang for your Buck in regards to intake? 

E) Is there a dedicated section for uploading pics of our vehicles?

Looking forward to participating in the forum and enjoy many thousands of kms on my new toy  B)

Josh

Hi Josh and welcome to Delta ownership and rare car status in most countries!

You're quite lucky as in the UK we didn't get the higher spec cars with dual sunroofs or in fact the 1750tbi engine. We only had a choice of the 1.4 multi-air petrol or 1.6/2.0 diesels.

The 1750tbi was however available here in Alfa Romeo, and I had one on a 159 Sportwagon back in 2012. The main thing to watch with that engine is oil quality. Also ignore the recommended service intervals and do an oil and filter change a lot more often, circa 9k miles/12 months. Also when doing your regular fluid level checks, have a sniff at the end of the dipstick. Mine ate 2 turbo's in quick succession before the problem was identified as a couple of leaking injectors diluting the oil with petrol - in the latter stages, the contamination got to 8% petrol after only 6 weeks and 2k miles since the previous oil change. Since then it has become apparent that whilst not affecting every 1750 engine, mine was not exactly an isolated case either.
I know you said the cambelt has been done, but check that the water pump was changed also, because if not and it seizes it can throw the belt and trash the engine. 

For gear shifter knobs try Italian eBay...

Tyres I use Avon ZV7's at the moment and have just replaced all 4. Here in the UK they were the cheapest mid-range tyre I could find with low noise and good wet grip. I'm on my second set and they've been good value at around £70 a corner. Obviously tyres is an endless subject and everyone will have their own opinion. The car was supplied with Goodyear Eagle F1's and to be honest the Avon's are just as good, but probably won't last as long.

Mods... Massive subject, but I'd start with handling too. What wheel size are you running 17'' or 18''? As this will make a difference when you start to lower and stiffen up the suspension. For throttle response have a look at a 'Pedal Box' from companies like DTUK. They're plug 'n' play, and seem to work well. As for exhausts I've not looked at on the shelf systems, so haven't a clue what's available if anything. I've always had systems made on the car in stainless steel, so that maybe the way to go...Lastly most intake systems I've used/seen don't make any gains, just make more induction roar. So my advice would be stick to the standard airbox and just replace the filter with something like a K&N.

There's no dedicated area for photo's, just create you own build thread and get posting... We're a bit of the adopted kid syndrome here, as the car clearly isn't a Chrysler, but we have made this little place our home, and seem to get left alone to talk Italian! :)

Welcome Josh and a good choice. As Mikey says we did not get that engine here - though I would have liked it especially with that output! 

Add any photos here. Most people seem to hate the OE gear-knob though I don't mind it. Not sure how easy they are to remove but I'll keep an eye out on UK Ebay if you want the OE replacement.

I've always stuck to Goodyears for rubber. The Delta with its extended wheelbase is not exactly the best handling car - The original fit were Efficient Grip Performance GY's though I might try a higher spec next time. Typically Its always the fronts that go. I've been thinking about adding a K&N recently - again not for performance but just for clearer breathing. I think they are about £55 UKP

How many cars made it to Israel? I didn't even realise they sold it there - then again most people here in the UK have no idea about them either!

Like Mikey says theres a couple of us hardcore Delta 3 owners on here and any problems just post on here and usually one of us will come up with something! If you look at other threads as well we have access to the FCA eper system so can get you part numbers / diagrams if needed.

Nice to hear from a new owner and enjoy the drive!

Edited by Nello

BTW I've just looked on eper and a replacement Gearknob is about £79 UKP

For some reason it comes in three pieces - You appear to have to buy the 'face' of it separately with the gear pattern on (for different gearboxes presumably?!) 

55345477-2-e1510583352890.jpg

Theres a completed one here for reference - 

55346375-e1473776795131.jpg

Edited by Nello

Shalom and Welcome along Josh and best of luck with the new purchase!

The only advice I will give comes in 3 parts

1 . . Get to know your car, drive it, find out what happens when you brake, when you turn in and set all levels and tyre pressure to the correct levels and pressure

2 . . Get your car to stop well, make sure that brake discs and pads are in good condition and are working properly

3 . . Then consider what needs doing to put things right

Thanks for the welcome guys, and thanks for the sound pieces of advice.

Lots of responses to make, so please excuse me for making this a long post. I'll throw some pics in to make it more interesting  :D

First thought, and this isn't directed specifically at you guys, more towards the moderators, is whether anyone can check the code for the B) smiley? I use A,B,C bullet points a lot and don't really want the emoticon to come up all the time (even though only the cool guys use ,B,C bullet points B) )

@@Mikey,

I wasn't aware that fiat didn't promote the 1750tbi engine in the UK, any idea why not? It's such a great engine and makes the most sense when wanting to draw sales to a new vehicle. Has anyone tried or thought about an engine swap? I'm sure you can find a totaled alfa with engine and gearbox in good condition to use as a donor.

Regarding the oil changes, my mechanic also recommended sticking with 15,000 kms for oil changes. i guess it all comes down to the bank account.. i went a bit into the deep end for this vehicle due to the fact that it's such a rare find.

Regarding the water pump, i had no idea about that - sent a whatsapp to the previous owner and we'll see what comes back.

About the gear shifter knob, The 125GBP was what I was told that it should cost from the service centre. Turns out it's more than double that!! What shifters do you guys have and can any universal shifter fit? I don't want to buy and wait only to find out that it's wrong.

Attached is a picture of my shifter when in place, and also how it's broken.(Open in new tab to see full screen)post-2618-0-32939500-1529499670_thumb.jpgpost-2618-0-36312500-1529499684_thumb.jpg

Regarding tyres, I've got a quote so far from one shop:

Pirelli - 520 ILS (108 GBP)

Dunlop - 460 ILS (96 GBP)

Continental - 640 ILS (134 GBP)

Goodyear - 440 ILS (92 GBP)

Maxxis - 490 ILS (102 GBP)

All prices after VAT

Mods: My car rides on 17"s and body roll I noticed today is crazily floppy, like jelly! Anyway to stiffen the body roll?

I don't have the cash right now for mods, got tyres to do as well as front control arms and dampeners, but gotta be prepared for when some money suddenly 'becomes available'.... :rolleyes:

@@Nello,

I don't know exactly how many cars made it here, What I have been told is that 'apparently' only 11 cars were sold of the Elegante version. (the sunroof, electric seats and heated seats). They are a very rare car here, right now for sale there are 17 cars between model years of 2010 and 2014. All have the 1750tbi engine (on Lancias called a 1.8L Di Turbo).

Can you please explain to me what the FCA eper system is?

Can you link me to where you got those pics from? I need a unit ASAP and the earlier i buy the quicker it'll arrive.

@@Andrewgrale

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm not yet pushing my car because I know that elements need repairs and don't want to get stuck on the side of the road just yet (or have my wife complaining that I shouldn't have bought it ;) )... Once new tyres are on and front suspension has been looked after, then I can start taking my car to the limits and really learning it.

How many Delta III owners are on the boards here?  Would anyone be interested in starting our own whatsapp group to make life quicker and simpler? This wouldn't have to be limited to owners only from this board. If you guys know of other owners that would be interested it'll only make ourselves more experienced and knowledgeable 

If yes, please PM me your mobile number and I'll add you in. Creating a group right now...

post-2618-0-43877600-1529501688_thumb.jpg

post-2618-0-27999500-1529501713_thumb.jpg

post-2618-0-81068500-1529501281_thumb.jpg

Josh

Hi Josh - they only sold about 8-900 cars here in the UK. As you are probably aware it was doomed from the start here with the decision to badge the car with the Chrysler badge. Chrysler having just as bad a reputation as Lancia here. Traditional Chrysler owners not recognising it as a US/Chrysler product (as it wasn't!) and Lancia owners being scarce anyway here since the Marque had not been sold here for some 17 years and it bearing no sporting relation to the Mk.1 Delta. There are only ever around 10 cars up for sale here at any one time nowadays. I believe there's about 8 of us who have converted the car back to how it should be and we are all on here..........................

FCA eper is the Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Parts system. Its used by the dealers to source parts whenever one is needed within a dealership.

All I did to get those images was google the part numbers - I think this is one - https://www.mgh.nl/webshop/producten/lancia-delta-pookknop

There are 3 Knobs listed on eper - These are all for the  Auto -  

Apols I did not notice yours was Auto - Need to work out which one is your Trim level (not sure what the difference would be.)

Edited by Nello

Thanks Nello,

I searched online for the 3 part numbers, only the one ending in 375 showed up with an image. Hard to say what the other 2 are.

How can I access the FCA eper to view the parts? Are there images there?

Has anyone here ordered directly from the eper? Is some kind of dealership code required?

You can access it directly by buying a copied disc but there are online versions. I use this one from the Polish Fiat club - http://eper.fiatklubpolska.pl/navi?FORCED=TRUE

You are best off trying to access it off peak hours though as it drops out with too many users on.

You might need to change the LANGUAGE=3 on the address bar to change it in to English.

You cannot order direct from there - its just used by the dealer to get part numbers.

Not sure about where you are but my local Fiat dealers are happy to order anything off there that is in-stock/production as long as you have the part number.

The odd scrap Delta or two does crop up on UK ebay now and again although the breakers have been known to be a bit daft in extracting parts needed (e.g Sat Nav's removed by chopping the looms!) and being an Auto they are even rarer. 

The three part numbers appear to reference different trim levels but I'm not sure what difference that would make to the gear-knob? Another site I have checked has all three numbers

referenced against the 'Platinum' trim? FCA does not always help by changing Part numbers as well but I think any of them would fit - 55346375 is pictured in my post earlier - does it appear the same?

This is as much as you will see on there with regards to images - I think this is the page you need - http://eper.fiatklubpolska.pl/navi?MOD_COD=181&COMM_MODEL=DEL&SBMK=L&COUNTRY=1&DRIVE=S&MAKE=L&CAT_COD=TH&GRP_COD=212&LANGUAGE=3&ALL_FIG=0&RMODE=DEFAULT&KEY=PARTDRAWDATA&EPER_CAT=SP&GUI_LANG=6&ALL_LIST_PART=2&PRINT_MODE=0&PREVIOUS_KEY=GROUP&SB_CODE=-1&WINDOW_ID=1&SGRP_COD=21&SGS_COD=21221%2F50&DRW_NUM=1%7C0

D56F54139FE0327D5973B94E21D4F255.png

Edited by Nello

I contacted a sales rep on the site fiat-autoparts.com. Gave him my VIN number and he referenced me to 55 344 680, but cannot provide any pictures. On one hand I want to keep the visual appearance as stock as possible simply to differentiate between other trim levels, but on the other hand I want to make sure the car suits me...

What do you guys think about my idea for a whatsapp group?

Actually I could have done that with eper - theres an option to add your VIN in there and it shows you the parts pertinent to your car.

I don't use whatsapp - not sure what else it could offer that we cannot do here? Although without wanting to offend any Chrysler peeps (as they have been 'hosting' us here!) It would be nice to see us somewhere a bit more Lancia-related.

I don't use whatsapp - not sure what else it could offer that we cannot do here? Although without wanting to offend any Chrysler peeps (as they have been 'hosting' us here!) It would be nice to see us somewhere a bit more Lancia-related.

I am afraid that I am a dinosaur, I don't have twitbook or whatstwit or twitapp

As regards being here, who owns Chrysler . . Fiat :-)

Actually I could have done that with eper - theres an option to add your VIN in there and it shows you the parts pertinent to your car.

Yep agree on both counts...

re tyres I'd go for Goodyear F1 asymetric 3 perfect match to the car, having seen what happened  to a friend's Avon tyres and then found it is a typical fault on them I'd give them a miss (severe premature cracking of the rubber) 

Everyone's got horror stories Alan. Which is why I said above ''Obviously tyres is an endless subject and everyone will have their own opinion''

Avon have been around for a long time with a proven track record in the tyre industry, and I've used them on and off for decades, literally! Just ask any decent tyre fitter about the different brands and they'll tell you how much BS is in the industry and across the brands.

In the 80's I used to rally a Vauxhall Nova on remoulds at £25 a corner and they could take anything I could throw at them. Now I know things have moved on a little, but the market now has to cater for the 'where there's a claim, there's blame' brigade and millennium morons that dry steer because they can't drive properly as they learnt on their play station!

Everyone's got horror stories Alan. Which is why I said above ''Obviously tyres is an endless subject and everyone will have their own opinion''

Avon have been around for a long time with a proven track record in the tyre industry, and I've used them on and off for decades, literally! Just ask any decent tyre fitter about the different brands and they'll tell you how much BS is in the industry and across the brands.

In the 80's I used to rally a Vauxhall Nova on remoulds at £25 a corner and they could take anything I could throw at them. Now I know things have moved on a little, but the market now has to cater for the 'where there's a claim, there's blame' brigade and millennium morons that dry steer because they can't drive properly as they learnt on their play station!

Yes but the tyres in question were on my friend Steve's SAAB and he's Mr mega fussy! Honestly they went ridiculously cracked and weren't old, search on the internet showed this to be very common on current Avons. Conversely I gave him a pair of Avons years ago that he has on his volumex and must be years old and still look perfect, I suspect that standards at Avon are slipping. Actually when I originally got my delta they'd put a new pair of Avons on the front they were ok but were much noisier and less smooth than the Goodyear I've had subsequently I just think the Delta is very well suited to the Goodyear tyres they seem a bit more compliant but still handle sharp asymetrics better than efficient grip but remember I have 18s and the difference may be more noticeable with those. Edited by Rossocorsa

Yeah Cooper Tyres Co owned Avon for a while and now it's some American business group allegedly. I'm on my second set of Avon's on the Delta and they've been fine, with no noticeable difference at all between these and the Goodyear's. The Delta's just a C segment family hack, with no real performance, so for me they do the job amicably.

I hate paying more that £70 a corner, so always shop around... Khumo (owned by Cooper) are the other great budget brand as are Firestone, owned by Bridgestone. They're all in bed together, so you have to play the game lol.

I've been contacting a few different tyre shops and consulting www.tyrereviews.co.uk on each brand and model.

My delta is a 1.8 Turbo, not the 1.6, with 17's. i've got a load and speed index of 94W from what I can see on my vehicle registration.

Currently I'm being highly recommended Dunlop FM800's. I've been told by one place that the Goodyear F1 asymetric 3 has a load and speed index of 94Y and that I should be sticking to the manufacturer's requirement of 94W.

In all honesty, this is the first car that I'm really getting into this level of detail with, so I've got a lot to learn! Previous vehicle was an '07 Mitsu Lancer that was treated purely as a workhorse and was abused. Things with my Delta are going to be much different and I need as much knowledge as possible to maintain Her.

I've used barum before, continentals I think? They were good on an MG ZT

Made in the Czech republic with Continental being the parent company. Rumour has it they using continental patterns and tech a few years behind, but still good. Most owners seem to rate them, so I'll have a look next time given they're around £54 a corner fitted!!! Bargain if they are as good!