Excessive Water Leak

Sentech

Hi I'm new to the forum.

I started using and excessive amount of water a couple of weeks back on my 2.8 CRD 2006 Voyager.

The leak ONLY STARTS when the vehicle reaches operating temperature, one would automatically assume top water hose or thermostat housing.

Unfortunately this doesn't appear to be the case.

Looking underneath with the engine running, above the turbo, but below the thermostat there is a 2" plastic pipe with an odd "U" shaped channel in it, sticking out thru a heat shield in the bulkhead.

The water is coming out of this pipe at a rate of 1 liter for every 2 kms. 

I have a pdf workshop manual but it doesn't show this in the cooling system. I am wondering if it is some kind of overflow or over pressurization from the heater matrix ? (Pure guess).

If there is anybody out there who has experienced this problem or knows what this pipe is for I would be eternally grateful for information.

I can imagine with the limited access space, that putting the vehicle into a garage will cost more than the vehicle is worth.

Chris

Thanks for the response, I've been a bit busy the last couple of days.

I'll try and get a photo tomorrow.

I'll look for the supply and return hoses for the heater matrix too.

When I located this leak. I had thought cracked thermostat housing but can't see any evidence of it.

Edited by Sentech

post-2608-0-87898100-1529147379_thumb.jpgpost-2608-0-05079700-1529147397_thumb.jpg

I have attached a view from the top and from the bottom.

The pipe in question is sticking out of the bulkhead surrounded by a heat shield.

It has a "U" profile that can clearly be seen.

It is near the water pump, underneath the Thermostat Housing and above the Inlet Pipe to the Turbo (to take photo from underneath I removed the Turbo Inlet Hose.

Be aware this damn pipe only leaks AFTER the engine reaches operating temperature.

Chris