Battery Replacement

GiggleSquid

Question

Hey guys,

Quick question:

After spending the last couple days having to jump start my 2012 Chrysler Ypsilon 0.9L Twinair, I've finally come to conclusion that I should just replace the battery.

I've decided that I'm just gonna do it myself, I know that I need a Stop-Start EFB 12V 63Ah 450A (EN1-SAE) battery (Or near enough) although I'm worried about the onboard computer buggering up.

And I've read in some places that I may need to configure the battery with a diagnostic tool (or the like).

Can anyone advice whether it's easy enough to do this myself?

3 answers to this question

Hi,

You don't need to set anything with the diagnostic tool and onboard computer will be fine, I got a replacement battery from Halfords - it was a EFB013. If you have been jump starting the car without disconnecting the plug from the sensor on the negative terminal, start stop will probably not work as you may of toasted  the sensor. It is not because it needs setting up with diagnostics. I can say this as I have 2 Ypsilons and after replacing the battery I did not have start stop after jumping the car (it worked before). I swapped the sensor from the other car and it works perfectly now.

Edited by Mikey

Hi,

You don't need to set anything with the diagnostic tool and onboard computer will be fine, I got a replacement battery from Halfords - it was a EFB013. If you have been jump starting the car without disconnecting the plug from the sensor on the negative terminal, start stop will probably not work as you may of toasted  the sensor. It is not because it needs setting up with diagnostics. I can say this as I have 2 Ypsilons and after replacing the battery I did not have start stop after jumping the car (it worked before). I swapped the sensor from the other car and it works perfectly now.

Ahh, brilliant, thanks @Mikey.

Regarding the stop start, I'm pretty sure it hasn't been working since I bought the car in 2016.

Is there a way to reset or re-enable the stop start to see if it's been disabled for another reason?

It's a good bet that I have buggered it. Do you happen to know where I could buy the sensor and where abouts it sits in the car?

(EDIT) I've just googled it, I know where the sensor is now

Edited by GiggleSquid

Ahh, brilliant, thanks @Mikey.

Regarding the stop start, I'm pretty sure it hasn't been working since I bought the car in 2016.

Is there a way to reset or re-enable the stop start to see if it's been disabled for another reason?

It's a good bet that I have buggered it. Do you happen to know where I could buy the sensor and where abouts it sits in the car?

(EDIT) I've just googled it, I know where the sensor is now

There are a whole load of reasons why start stop is disabled, including normal parameters in the car such as opening the car door, cabin temperature compared to required temp (aircon) and so on. There is no reset option with the diagnostics I have, I found simply disconnecting the 2 pin plug on the sensor and then disconnecting the quick release negative connection long enough for the clock to lose time worked. You then reconnect the battery followed by the sensor. If you choose to replace the sensor there is a number on it, they are available on ebay, just be sure to match the number. If you can get an updated version number that would be good as I think the early sensors had issues. They are expensive though. Start by changing the battery, making sure the clock resets and go from there.