Alarm Going Off Whilst Driving!

Rossocorsa

Question

21 answers to this question

Any ideas? weird or what! No flashing indicators as far as I can tell just alarm. Can only stop it by stopping and opening doors with remote

I've had that happen before on one of my Alfa's...just can't remember what I did to cure it.

I have some memory of it being the bonnet switch, or sudden battery voltage drop? Just can't quite remember which car was which as they all use the same Meta alarm system lol.

It's been playing up for a while, sometimes it goes off when the doors are locked with the remote. In that case in simply lock with key instead so the alarm isn't active. I suspect damp connector but not sure, it is odd in that it didn't always (maybe never I don't recall) flash the indicators in the same way as a 'normal' alarm.

It's been playing up for a while, sometimes it goes off when the doors are locked with the remote. In that case in simply lock with key instead so the alarm isn't active. I suspect damp connector but not sure, it is odd in that it didn't always (maybe never I don't recall) flash the indicators in the same way as a 'normal' alarm.

Yeah mine definitely flash as well as that annoying bleeping... It might be worth giving the boot and bonnet contacts a quick spray with some electrical contact cleaner and seeing if that helps?

How's you battery too? Still of the original or have you changed it?

Well I was driving when it went off so moving I don't imagine that battery would cause an issue in those circumstances although it is the original. I don't think it's door or bonnet/boot contacts as there is no indication that they are open. I'm suspicious that it's a bad connection on the siren unit itself I guess this might have a battery backup inside and might go off if it thinks it had been disconnected? Just a guess that though! Did seem more prevalent in wet weather improving if it's dry for a few days Edited by Rossocorsa

As far as I remember, FCA have a deal with Meta for the factory/supplier/dealer fit alarms. In my recollection there's a backup battery built in. There's a 4 year-ish lifetime on those batteries, it sounds like the siren battery is on it's last legs and dropping under voltage and sounding. If you can get a type number off the siren you may be able to find 1, I have a few (Fiat) ones still new in a box somewhere, if they are the same, you're welcome to one to see if it sorts you out Edited by Andrewgrale

Well due to my mother not being very well I haven't had time to investigate, it seemed to settle down but today acted weird again. Firstly when I went back to the car after work it showed break in detected but I didn't hear the alarm go off during the day (it's parked under the office window) and strangely the bips that normally accompany open/close were absent. Then tonight the alarm went off when driving again I had to stop switch off, unlock doors with remote and eventually it stopped. The bips on open/close then reappeared. Does anyone know where the alarm sounder unit is positioned? Edited by Rossocorsa

Not off hand Alan no but I'm off today so planning a clean - I'll let you know if I see it!

The reference diagram on eper only shows it as the 'Electronic Control Unit' which appears to be within the engine bay somewhere behind the bulkhead in front of the driver - on an LHD car - so possibly on the offside on ours......................

Not off hand Alan no but I'm off today so planning a clean - I'll let you know if I see it!

The reference diagram on eper only shows it as the 'Electronic Control Unit' which appears to be within the engine bay somewhere behind the bulkhead in front of the driver - on an LHD car - so possibly on the offside on ours......................

As far as I remember, the siren is located in the wiper linkage ducting beneath the windscreen

Yes that's where I'm going to look, as with most moderns ideally situated for damp contamination

Yeah, the early mark2 Ducato (94 on) had the wiper ducting drain straight on top of the battery, which overflowed and coated the chassis leg in battery acid!!!

The modification was to move the drain as far as possible from the battery . . ie, over the gearbox vent, which washed the grease off the external linkage and seized it!!!

Some days you are the pigeon, some days you're the statue

Tried to add photo but it was too large, I'm getting an alarm unavailable message in the dash but only when the beeps don't sound when I lock or unlock with the remote, the unit seems to randomly wake up and the beeps reappear! Is the siren unit just a siren or does it include the control circuitry? 

Edited by Rossocorsa

Ok I've had the cover off and removed the sounder, inside the connections for the rechargable battery look blackened and the connector is in poor condition, battery voltage that should be approx 7.2v is 2.5 so either the battery is dead or the connectors aren't providing a proper contact for charging. I've removed the sounder for now until I can find a more permanent solution.

As far as I remember, FCA have a deal with Meta for the factory/supplier/dealer fit alarms. In my recollection there's a backup battery built in. There's a 4 year-ish lifetime on those batteries, it sounds like the siren battery is on it's last legs and dropping under voltage and sounding. If you can get a type number off the siren you may be able to find 1, I have a few (Fiat) ones still new in a box somewhere, if they are the same, you're welcome to one to see if it sorts you out

I've sent you a PM

Fixed at last! Got a new siren/control unit off eBay different part number but just the tone of the beep seems slightly different £80 as opposed to about £200 from Fiat, didn't want to risk £200 on something that may not have fixed it! The reason for failure of these units seems to be neither battery failure nor damp. The unit is sealed against damp but this has the side effect of holding in very small amounts of corrosive fumes from the charging of the batteries and this corrodes the circuit board. That's the theory I found on the net and seems plausible Edited by Rossocorsa

Fixed at last! Got a new siren/control unit off eBay different part number but just the tone of the beep seems slightly different £80 as opposed to about £200 from Fiat, didn't want to risk £200 on something that may not have fixed it! The reason for failure of these units seems to be neither battery failure nor damp. The unit is sealed against damp but this has the side effect of holding in very small amounts of corrosive fumes from the charging of the batteries and this corrodes the circuit board. That's the theory I found on the net and seems plausible

Good find and great information!

Glad you are sorted

Fixed at last! Got a new siren/control unit off eBay different part number but just the tone of the beep seems slightly different £80 as opposed to about £200 from Fiat, didn't want to risk £200 on something that may not have fixed it! The reason for failure of these units seems to be neither battery failure nor damp. The unit is sealed against damp but this has the side effect of holding in very small amounts of corrosive fumes from the charging of the batteries and this corrodes the circuit board. That's the theory I found on the net and seems plausible

Give us a part number then for future reference lol... Bound to be one of us next!! :lol: