Ryanjb2014

Question

Hi, I'm pretty new to the forum, and just wondered if anyone had had any experience fitting an aftermarket stereo/sat nav to a Delta before - I was looking at one of the new Pioneer CarPlay Apple ones, but Halfords removed the facia in my Delta and said it was impossible to fit (their exact words) - even with the double din facia I'd bought. So, has anyone else ever tried (and/or failed)? Or is it possible to install a manufacturer sat nav (if purchased) that would've come in a higher specification Delta?

Thanks, Ryan.

Hi, I bought a Delta SE auto yesterday which was advertised as with Sat Nav. On testing this at the dealer I found that it was an aftermarket Navplus whick should be OK but it only has maps for Italy, San Marino and the Vatican. I assume that if I get a European maps micro sd card then I will be able to use it but where can I get one please? The dealer has agreed to pay a reasonable sum to get it fixed as it was advertised with Sat Nav. The radio within the device doesn't hold the fm stations either, in fact only Heart and Classic fm are received and these not well so any advice on this will also be hugely welcomed please. Is it likely that the aerial has come disconnected? Many thanks in advance folks.

Hi, which version of Navplus is it as there is the original and the second Gen like mine? If you look at my posts earlier in this thread you will see some pic's to help work out which one you've got.

Both issues you've asked about are actually addressed here too if you'd read the thread! 

In short the radio needs a powered 'in-line booster' to cure the poor reception and this can draw power from behind the cigarette lighter. These are about £10 and take 10 minutes to fit if you know what you're doing.

The Sat Nav is updateable, but the issue is the Naviextras website will ask you which model Radio/Sat Nav you have! Navplus isn't the real brand of the head unit and as far as I'm aware there is no way to tell what the real model number and brand it really is. It's made in China for the Italian company selling the unit under the Navplus name.

You can however install other Nav software from the Google play store, although you are limited to what's available as the version of Android installed is 4.1.

Hi again,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. I do not know which generation mine is but I have looked at the "about" screen and have the following info to share if it helps:

Serial number is 1412031162367d5

Build number is crane_kzcar-eng 4.1.1 JR003C 2014 12 13.151602

Model number KZCAR

KZ-16 CQEH

There is lots of other stuff but these seem the most useful. The unit looks just like yours but in silver. By the way, where do the withdrawal wire hoops go in the release the unit from the dash please?

Regards,

Rod

Hi again,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. I do not know which generation mine is but I have looked at the "about" screen and have the following info to share if it helps:

Serial number is 1412031162367d5

Build number is crane_kzcar-eng 4.1.1 JR003C 2014 12 13.151602

Model number KZCAR

KZ-16 CQEH

There is lots of other stuff but these seem the most useful. The unit looks just like yours but in silver. By the way, where do the withdrawal wire hoops go in the release the unit from the dash please?

Regards,

Rod

Hi Rod,

I could have told you that, but unfortunately that doesn't help as KZCAR doesn't exist as far as branding and model number goes. If you search for these you won't find any references in the Sat Nav database, so therefore can't buy or download the European maps.

As said you'd be better downloading one of the Sat Nav App's from the Play Store. I've even emailed the Italian supplier http://www.almigliorprezzo.net/ several times to try and find out who the Chinese supplier is and they won't respond!

There's a secret menu which can only be accessed by a security pin number and this allows you to set up how the unit starts up when the power is triggered by the ignition, i.e. goes straight to radio and plays the station you last listened to, but again they won't share what the pin is.

It is a brilliant unit, it just takes a while to get used to the quirks of running what is effectively an Android computer that's had Apps added to play CD's, Radio and Nav. If you think of it like that, rather than a traditional radio/cd head unit you'll be fine.

There's a link to the aerial booster somewhere on this thread and that work's really well and sorts out the radio reception problem...

You don't need an extraction tool to remove it either... Just put your fingers either side of the unit and gently pull.

Hi again and thanks again for help so far. I have been trying to search for european sat nav maps and wonder if you could recommend one which will work with the unit please? If you could give me guidance on how to incorporate it within the navthigation system, this would also be great. Thanks again.

Google maps works well, but you'll need to have your phone tethered as it requires internet and data access. I have another Nav App downloaded that works off-line that I've been trailing for a couple of weeks but so far I'm not finding it great tbh so wouldn't recommend it. It doesn't recognise a lot of postcodes and I think there' a few things wrong with the logic, as it made me drive around the whole of lake Bala rather than telling me to do a 'u' turn adding 10 miles to a journey...There were a few others in the App store but again not great either...

Nokia HERE maps is currently in Beta testing only (works off-line) on Android but so far not available on version 4.1 of Android. This maybe back compatible once released officially.  

Once you find a Nav App you're happy with you can update the path so that the Nav button takes you straight to it.

Thanks again Mickey,

I am moving forward on the sat nav set up as I have downloaded offline maps from Google and they seem to work, but (there's always a but!) no sound directions which means that I have to stare at the screen, very dodgy! Any ideas how to get sound or maybe there isn't sound?

I also purchased a little in line amplifier for the radio aerial but haven't found a suitable 12v power connection in the sat nav void. The sat nav/android computer did just slide out by the way.

Any further advice is most welcome and hopefully will help others too.

Regards, Rod

Thanks again Mickey,

I am moving forward on the sat nav set up as I have downloaded offline maps from Google and they seem to work, but (there's always a but!) no sound directions which means that I have to stare at the screen, very dodgy! Any ideas how to get sound or maybe there isn't sound?

I also purchased a little in line amplifier for the radio aerial but haven't found a suitable 12v power connection in the sat nav void. The sat nav/android computer did just slide out by the way.

Any further advice is most welcome and hopefully will help others too.

Regards, Rod

Rod I didn't mention the off-line version of Google Maps as I couldn't get it to work at all after download, so I'm amazed it's worked for you at all, unless they've produced an update since I last connected to Wi-Fi?

Which aerial booster did you get in the end? Was it the one I linked earlier in the thread?

You need to drop the power lead down to the cigarette lighter socket and take your feed from the back...

Hi Mikey,

my apologies for not answering sooner.

I bought a Radio amplifier off eBay which cost £3.88 and it works but interestingly enough, the paperwork doesn't show the supplier's address. When exploring behind the unit I found a spare lead marked "Amp" which read 12 volts on my test meter so I connected it there. Very easy. The satnav/gps works fine but still no talking directions. I have been exploring other free gps software but most is for mobile phones only. not Tab

lets as the in car unit is, but the hunt continues. Cheers.

Rod what version of Delta have you got? SE-SR-Limited? Just interested as I'm fairly sure I didn't have an 'Amp' feed in the loom at all...

Right I've now got a working version of Nokia HERE safely downloaded onto the head unit. It was a bit of a faf but found an APK version 1.1 on a trusted link so thought I'd give it a go... I'll report back once I've had a play with it....Oh and also found one for WAZE but that does require a data connection whereas HERE is offline once you've downloaded the maps.

Rod what version of Delta have you got? SE-SR-Limited? Just interested as I'm fairly sure I didn't have an 'Amp' feed in the loom at all...

Right I've now got a working version of Nokia HERE safely downloaded onto the head unit. It was a bit of a faf but found an APK version 1.1 on a trusted link so thought I'd give it a go... I'll report back once I've had a play with it....Oh and also found one for WAZE but that does require a data connection whereas HERE is offline once you've downloaded the maps.

I believe Rod is actually referring to my car that I sold a couple of weeks ago, which has the same Navplus unit as yours (that we spoke about a few times). The model is an SE I believe - hope this helps! (Sorry to jump in and answer)

Edited by Ryanjb2014

Hello All,

an update on satnav/gps for those interested. I have now found a Navigation icon on one of the screens which does work as a proper satnav/gps and actually speaks to me. The in-line aerial booster works well and I can now receive fm stations well. When I have a bit more time I will look at getting the Navigation controlled by the NAV button on the left side of the unit.

Yes Ryan, this is your old car and is an SE 1.6 Diesel as you know. I am generally very pleased with it although it has very occasionally started to bleep and show a symbol that tells me that the Selectronic isn't working properly. The symbol looks like an open bonnet which had me going for a while until I got the book out and realised that it was a picture of a gearstick and not a bonnet. Did you have any problems with that? Has anybody else with a semi-auto had any problems please? I have found that by nudging the gear lever to the left and/or changing gear with the paddle shifts a couple of times, it seems to sort itself out. 

I find this forum really helpful Guys, many thanks for all your continuing input.

Rod

I believe Rod is actually referring to my car that I sold a couple of weeks ago, which has the same Navplus unit as yours (that we spoke about a few times). The model is an SE I believe - hope this helps! (Sorry to jump in and answer)

Ah Ryan that makes more sense as I was wondering how someone had ended up with a Navplus!

So how come you decided to sell up and move on? What have you replaced it with?

Hello All,

an update on satnav/gps for those interested. I have now found a Navigation icon on one of the screens which does work as a proper satnav/gps and actually speaks to me. The in-line aerial booster works well and I can now receive fm stations well. When I have a bit more time I will look at getting the Navigation controlled by the NAV button on the left side of the unit.

Yes Ryan, this is your old car and is an SE 1.6 Diesel as you know. I am generally very pleased with it although it has very occasionally started to bleep and show a symbol that tells me that the Selectronic isn't working properly. The symbol looks like an open bonnet which had me going for a while until I got the book out and realised that it was a picture of a gearstick and not a bonnet. Did you have any problems with that? Has anybody else with a semi-auto had any problems please? I have found that by nudging the gear lever to the left and/or changing gear with the paddle shifts a couple of times, it seems to sort itself out. 

I find this forum really helpful Guys, many thanks for all your continuing input.

Rod

Rod, what is the navigation software you're referring to?

Sorry can't offer any help re the semi-auto as have always had manual cars and always will...

Hello All,

Rod

hi Rod

Did you have a problem getting decent radio reception after fitting your system?  I have just fitted a Sony head unit in mine and get terrible FM radio reception.  Maybe the factory fitted system has some built in amp for the Aerial?  I'll try and get aerial booster and see if that helps. What unit did you buy?

Cheers

Stuart

hi Rod

Did you have a problem getting decent radio reception after fitting your system?  I have just fitted a Sony head unit in mine and get terrible FM radio reception.  Maybe the factory fitted system has some built in amp for the Aerial?  I'll try and get aerial booster and see if that helps. What unit did you buy?

Cheers

Stuart

Stuart this is the radio booster I fitted:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151108528250?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D151108528250%26_rdc%3D1

Then take a power feed off the spare feed at the back of the fag lighter....

Ah Ryan that makes more sense as I was wondering how someone had ended up with a Navplus!

So how come you decided to sell up and move on? What have you replaced it with?

Unfortunately I came into some financial trouble so had to trade down to a cheaper vehicle (I have a PT Cruiser now  ^_^ ), but I really really hope to get another Delta very soon, providing one comes along at the right price  ;)

Unfortunately I came into some financial trouble so had to trade down to a cheaper vehicle (I have a PT Cruiser now  ^_^ ), but I really really hope to get another Delta very soon, providing one comes along at the right price  ;)

Ah sorry to hear that Ryan, I hope things improve for you quickly fella! There's nothing worse than financial worries!

Ironically the Delta was my downsizing as I had a Land Rover Discovery as the family vehicle, an MX5 Roadster Coupe as a weekend toy and an Alfa 159ti as my daily commute but got made redundant. So I sold everything and bought the Delta while I find something new career wise...

Anyway stay positive fella and I'm sure you'll be back in something you really want to drive shorty...

Hi,

Does the Navplus work with Blue&me?

I've installed original Nav headunit to my bravo (previous car) and now I feel, this feature is missing from my new Delta, :D

Hi and welcome to the club fella! :)

Yes the Navplus unit comes with a Canbus adaptor (little box in the loom) so no problems there. You can either connect directly to the head unit by-passing the B&M or directly to the car as normal and use the steering wheel controls.

Hi and welcome to the club fella! :)

Yes the Navplus unit comes with a Canbus adaptor (little box in the loom) so no problems there. You can either connect directly to the head unit by-passing the B&M or directly to the car as normal and use the steering wheel controls.

Thanks.