Front Strut

3ddesign

Question

24 answers to this question

Thanks, Itried that yesterday but theres not much play in the bolts. I had taken it to a local place to get aligned and they just cant seem to get it right. Ive mucked about now myself tweeking and atleast have it running straight and even. Of course now the cv joint is clicking after doing the other joint last week. It seems an endless one thing after the other with this car. Not much else to break on it !

Yep I share your experience on this. After a pair of complete stuts 2 places couldn't get them right.

I had a word with a smaller local tyre guy who checked it, said it was only a tiny bit out and wouldn't usually say it needed touching (but steering not straight when driving straight)

So after I said I appreciated his honesty but would like to pay him to try, he got a little bit on it and so far (6 months or so) so good.

Done with the tiny amount of play in the slot in the bottom of the strut.

Mine dont seem to have the slots in the bottom hole. The camber bolts should give adjust3even without the slots. I design alot of machinery and the slot is usually a given !

Just one thing im either imagining it or not but im convinced the front of the cars sitting lower than before. Any chance someone could throw a tape and measure the height of the wheelarch to the ground?

Thanks

Mine seems 28" or there abouts, roads around here bad and it bottoms out quite a bit which is cracking me up. Will probably pass an mot ok ,but are these cars really that soft or do i need brand new springs or is there a way to stiffen the front end?

Many years ago, I was some rubber spacers that will fit between the spring's coils...I'm thinking getting it for mine. It will lift the car 5-10 cm.

This is wrecking my head, looking at same cars online and they definitely sit alot higher on the front struts. Are they adjustable or something?

Im going to have to buy brand new strut assemblies to see if i can sort, the roads here are to bad to be running too low

They must be, looking on rock auto there do seem some different coil type in the different struts from different suppliers. Comparing mine to most on autotrader its definitely low, but the money ploughed into it the last month ill get it MOT'd and do the springs later

I know this a old post but the top mounts have to be put on certain way there is a square cut in rubber top Mount it as to line up with the middle part of the strut were the bolts go in. It well put the camber well out  hope it helps some one.

Edited by BumBle02

- used a capable M18 + big battery, lotsa high rothenburger gas, black grade socket and a scafee bar over a 1 yard snap on bar, did it but it was a pig, even with 5 spring compressors couldn't get them down so i had to borrow a foot operated automotive hydraulic commercial spring compressor,you would never know / see how bad they were till you completely disassemble !