Follow us on...
Follow us on Google PlusFollow us on TwitterFollow us on Facebook
The UK's No.1 Chrysler Owners Forum

Photo
- - - - -

Which Battery?

Best Answer daveonwheels11 , 18 March 2018 - 10:56 AM

Got a f18 yesterday and fitted it so fingers crossed I should be OK for some time thanks for your help QinteQ it's nice to know people can be so helpful Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 daveonwheels11

daveonwheels11

L Plates

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationDagenham

Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:58 PM

Hi have same problem as most GV crd's this time of year bad starting and flat battery. 18 months ago I bought an exide EP 450 which has now given up and which the rac man tested and told me its faulty. So now not sure which to go for do I go for the optima redtop or the bigger exide EK508 or as someone else has put a Varta blue F18. The redtop and ek508 are about £160 not sure about the price of the f18 . Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks All I want is a battery that will do the job without the worry of wondering if it will start or not I am also one of those who only use it for small trips most of the time then a couple of times a year to tow my caravan on nice long trips.

#2 QinteQ

QinteQ

Advanced Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:32 PM

The F18 is 55mm longer, you will need to MOD the battery tray and maybe one long-side battery hold down lip. Redtops will fit and do work. The EP 450 can't be jiggered - get it de-sloughed on a 9 stage charger.

- lifestyle - frequent use - winter starts - duration [50 miles every other day] of recharge from the alternator - no intervention needed
- lifestyle - infrequent use - semi-permanent advanced microprocessor controlled battery charger, the excellent MP7428 9 stage @ about £30 is an alternative to the double the price CTEK 5.0
- the buttonMOD works well, is safe and will give a lot more aH in a short charge time window

Best of luck.

• andyb2000 and daveonwheels11 like this

#3 daveonwheels11

daveonwheels11

L Plates

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationDagenham

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:19 PM

I will try the 7 stage charging on my ep450 as a spare so which of the two batteries you have said would you think is the best bet for my car which is a 2007 Grand Voyager 2.8 crd executive. I understand the redtop will go straight in and I will have to cut the battery tray for the f18 which I can do just need someone who has had both tell me which one to spend my money on which I don't have a lot of because I am disabled.i just need not to have to worry about going to my car and it not starting which isn't great when u use a wheelchair hence the daveonwheels in my user name anyway thanks for you help

#4 QinteQ

QinteQ

Advanced Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:47 PM

I drive a WAV. I like the big bank bank that is the F18 type generally, the optima redtops work well even the powerline budget brand work well, but at the end of the day lifestyle will kill even a top end high recharge efficiency deep cycle big bank Odyssey @ £270.

I've got a Boost for when I'm caught out.Every day is F18. Spare is an S5 010 and is permanently on 100% charged for up to 9 months of the year. Overkill ? - yeh probably.

#5 QinteQ

QinteQ

Advanced Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:00 PM

7 stage whilst good and will include float + pulse / maintenance normally does not treat sulphated. Mind you yours might not be actually sulph[ed]. Never believe what you are told by anyone with the usual garbage in/out 100a drop tester. A proper one such as a BA7 that auto rages flooded AGM flat plat Spirals and gel's etc is a reliable read of CCA's at any point in time.

#6 daveonwheels11

daveonwheels11

L Plates

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationDagenham

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for your help I think I might go for the F18 and keep my old battery on trickle charge once I have had a go at the 7 stage charging that is. I know what you mean about not believing some people cos since that day my battery went flat and had it jump started it's been OK ever since. Even after saying that I still think it would put my mind at rest if I got the F18 and kept my ep450 as a back up like you do,better safe then sorry and I won't have to wait ages for the man in his orange van to turn up. My next job is glow plugs cos going through the FSH they have never been changed I have heard they can be a bit of a pig to get out and I should soak them with wd40 before I even try to get the old ones out. At least the weather is getting better cos of the old disability I can't do much on my GV when it's too cold or wet.
  • QinteQ likes this

#7 QinteQ

QinteQ

Advanced Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:07 PM

F18 and keep my old battery on trickle charge

Would be a safe option providing you change it before it gets very low. The danger of lifestyle is that it gives out at that exact moment you are miles from home and the spare fully charges ep450. Best of luck to you.

#8 QinteQ

QinteQ

Advanced Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:18 PM

A whole £2 spent on this.

12.65 = 100%

12.45 = 075%

12.24 = 050%

12.06 = 025%

11.89 = 000% dead as a dodo

Will tell you when [25%] you need to change / charge. Make sure you use the switch-able low output cigarette lighter socket on the RHS.

#9 daveonwheels11

daveonwheels11

L Plates

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationDagenham

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:56 AM   Best Answer

Got a f18 yesterday and fitted it so fingers crossed I should be OK for some time thanks for your help QinteQ it's nice to know people can be so helpful

#10 daveonwheels11

daveonwheels11

L Plates

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationDagenham

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:01 AM

One more thing thanks for the link on amazon at £1.99 u have to get one and I will be able to keep tabs of the state of charge on my battery cheers

#11 QinteQ

QinteQ

Advanced Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:22 PM

- don't start the engine

- REM the digital volt meter will initially read very low [glow plugs + interior lights] so wait 30 seconds after getting in the car

- you are welcome daveonwheels

• Daz264 likes this

#12 SJC

SJC

L Plates

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:28 AM

Hi have same problem as most GV crd's this time of year bad starting and flat battery. 18 months ago I bought an exide EP 450 which has now given up and which the rac man tested and told me its faulty. So now not sure which to go for do I go for the optima redtop or the bigger exide EK508 or as someone else has put a Varta blue F18. The redtop and ek508 are about £160 not sure about the price of the f18 . Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks All I want is a battery that will do the job without the worry of wondering if it will start or not I am also one of those who only use it for small trips most of the time then a couple of times a year to tow my caravan on nice long trips.

I have gone for a Odyssey PC1500-34/78 Battery. Cost nearly £300, but has made a world of difference. I run my car on short journeys everyday, so is up against worst-case scenario.

Only been a month or so....will return here to let you all know if it was a waste of money.

#13 QinteQ

QinteQ

Advanced Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:11 PM

Plates are lead .... not lead alloy and 850CCA is a very big thumping crank. Good kit, very good kit.

A whole £2 spent on this.

12.65 = 100%

12.45 = 075%

12.24 = 050%

12.06 = 025%

11.89 = 000% dead as a dodo

SJC even a battery of this quality will let you down [lifestyle] if you don't charge it up. See above an additional £2QUID will tell you when [25%] you need to change / charge. Make sure you use the switch-able low output cigarette lighter socket on the RHS.

Best of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users